Home U.S. Coin Forum

Hey Slab Crackers tell us how you lost your Virginity! Crackin slabs that is.

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
So what was it like your very first time? Was it fun was it messy was it scary and did you want to do it again right away???

Comments

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    I cracked my first slab when doing my Dansco 7070 set. Always with a hammer. Going back I would have used bolt cutters for PCGS slabs rather than a hammer. I always covered the slab with a towel and hammered away. It was messy with lots of small pieces of plastic, but it did the job.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    When I was 14.

Edited to add...

Oh, I misread the question the first time. First time I cracked out a coin was when I was about 19 and bought a few in those holders. I didn't like the holders so I broke them out. Once I learned what they were I resubmitted those coins and even scored one upgrade.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    Very scary, as it was the first slab I ever owned. NGC and used a very sharp Fiskars camp ax. Took an inch off the top and slid it out. My one and only PCGS slab I cracked was the lopper method.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I was a bit apprehensive. After all it was both of our first time. At first she didn't yield her treasure to my fumbling hands. Then I stepped up the pressure. Eventually, she parted. The hammer helped. image

Then I promptly put the coin in my 7070. image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Tile snips. Still a little scary, but nothing like a hammer or a camp ax. You guys really live dangerously!
  • Turning the bar on a 6" vise was so cool.

took little pressure to hear that "pop" of the slab cracking under pressure (the slab was hidden under cloth) no shards flyin about, no mess when pulling the coin from the holders in there minuscule rubber holders- just a coin IN HAND to admire.

If I did not like the grade assigned I had a choice- sned it back or end it to Wayte Raymond hell for an indefinite time period.

They are still in tone phase- segment 1A..

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always busted 'em like AnkurJ . . hammer and wrapped in a towel. Never a problem. Tap 'em lightly on the edge, peel and eat.

I have always enjoyed reading the threads that discuss this though . . . complete with multidirectional power tools, tinsnips, forceps, rubber gloves, Briggs & Stratton 4 HP motors, prayer, laser-guided clamps, vises/ViseGrips, lube, radial arm saws, and Uncle Ed's original Dremel tool with a turbocharger rigged to the widget arm.

The hammer just has worked easiest for me. I think I got that one at Walmart in Evanston, WY.

Drunner
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was probably in 1987 when I first used the tool I now refer to as "The Jaws of Life"image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>When I was 14.

Edited to add...

Oh, I misread the question the first time. First time I cracked out a coin was when I was about 19 and bought a few in those holders. I didn't like the holders so I broke them out. Once I learned what they were I resubmitted those coins and even scored one upgrade. >>

You're so cryptic... but I deciphered your answer. You were 14 in dog years, so you were 98 in human years? WOW! You beat me by 3 years! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I remember when I busted my first cherry

red Lincoln out of it's NGC slab. It never felt so good, it never felt so right! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over time you develop a technique. PCGS slabs are easy with bolt cutters. 5 seconds, never an issue. NGC and ANACS are better cracked with a hammer. Take your time. It's not hard or risky. Work your way around the slab.

I save the certs. Lately I've been saving the gasket/rings too. Gonna build something with them.
    Lance.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the first one I cracked was SEGS. Used an electric jigsaw, went through it like butter!
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was a bit apprehensive. After all it was both of our first time. At first she didn't yield her treasure to my fumbling hands. Then I stepped up the pressure. Eventually, she parted. The hammer helped. image

Sounds like something that would come out of a book with Fabio on the cover! LOL

Then I promptly put the coin in my 7070. image >>

I'll come up with something.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the first one I cracked was SEGS. Used an electric jigsaw, went through it like butter! >>

SEGS are tough! I did one with a hammer and screw driver. Took a good 15 minutes! Ive hammered out quite a few for my 7070, and for my large cent date set.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put my in a vise and cranked away until it went pop. Then I went on to a band saw, and now I am back to the vise. I hate the smell of melting plastic while using the band saw.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    I bought a 2001 Proof Sac $ PCGS PR68DCAM at a discount due to the grade. There was nothing wrong with the coin at all, so I decided to crack it. I tired using a hacksaw, but realized that was not going to work. So, I used a pair of wire cutters and clipped the holder right across the coin. When I pushed, the bottom half of the slab flew across the room and I have NEVER been able to find it since. That was over 2 years ago.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Cracked some PCI slabs about 1998. A customer had sent in a bunch of 1920s commems -- ones known to have lots of die polish -- all came back AU58 cleaned and scratched. Later all got MS64 or MS65 at PCGS. Used my booted foot and a vise-grip.

I can't remember ever cracking a PCGS slab. They aren't perfect, but close enough that I sell uglies for bluesheet and possible upgrades for a small premium.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • I was looking at a WLH half in one of the new ANACS gold holders. I thought to myself how cheap the slab looked and just to feel the firmness I twisted it one way with my right hand and the other way with my left hand, not very hard, just kinda like kicking the tires on a new car. It opened right up and the coin fell on the rug.
  • NGC old fatty slab at a fun show a very long time ago. I stuck the side of the slab under my chair and sat down quickly, ive used the chair method a few times since.

• << <i>I was looking at a WLH half in one of the new ANACS gold holders. I thought to myself how cheap the slab looked and just to feel the firmness I twisted it one way with my right hand and the other way with my left hand, not very hard, just kinda like kicking the tires on a new car. It opened right up and the coin fell on the rug. >>

Just be happy that you don't have hard wood floors; that would have been painful.
  • fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>Turning the bar on a 6" vise was so cool. >>

so much pleasure from something so simple

an AU55 32d washington, to fill the final hole. image

BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    I've only cracked a few coins out of third world slabs... all Morgans in Numistrust slabs... all were actually undergraded (and became VAM discovery pieces)!
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • My first time involved a hammer, a washcloth, and the concrete slab floor of my parents basement. Wait...... are we talking about coins?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file