Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

My new Toned Showcase set

After getting a macro lens and copystand for Christmas, I was finally able to get some good pics of my toned collection. Mostly Jeffersons, but some cents, quarters, halfs, and dollars as well.

The Black Knight's Coins of Color

The impossible just takes longer.

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking set and pics! Congratulations. Shag
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done! Thanks for sharing image
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Loooooove toned coins and that collection looks like you put a lot of work into it, a lot. Congratulations.

I've been working on my toned lincoln wheat cent collection since 1986, and I'm only 30% of the way there.
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    Coin collecting went from a casual thing to fill the gaps to full time when I started shooting the coins I had. I know the feeling of getting new camera gear and seeing improved results. Better than opening a package on a coin you have been waiting for!

Since you are shooting toners. Try setting an axial set up. It will help capture the colors. I can see them, however I suspect there is a lot more to be shown.

Here is a link a link to some good information. scroll down the page to find the axial set up if you are not familiar with it.

Lighting set ups.

[quote]An Axial Lighting Setup

As shown below, an axial lighting setup requires a flat and clear sheet of glass which is placed at a 45-degree angle to both the light source and the camera lens. Most of the light hitting the glass passes through it, but a significant portion of light is reflected downward at the subject[/quote]

• Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link to axial lighting. Am going to try it on some proofs.
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties