Home U.S. Coin Forum

Cherrypickers' Guide

I got the Cherrypickers' Guide as a gift for Christmas and have enjoyed searching for those treasures that I may have overlooked prior (only had the RedBook as a pricing guide with its limited mentions of varieties)

This book is the 5th edition, half cents to Jefferson nickels. This is my question however: does this guide have included ALL known varieties? The reason I ask is because there are listings on Ebay for cents that

appear to be legit rpm's that aren't mentioned in this book. I don't have the exact date, I believe it was a 64D, that had a triple repunched mint mark, but was not mentioned in this guide. Just wondering if

something is NOT listed in this guide if it's legit or not....I have seen this on other listing too that are not referenced in this guide. Thanks

Comments

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    No, it is not designed to list all known varieties. This is a listing of those the authors felt were significant. If you want a book that lists all or nearly all, I suggest the specialty books for each series. For example, VAM collectors use the VAM encyclopedia and also vamworld.com.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No, it is not designed to list all known varieties. This is a listing of those the authors felt were significant. If you want a book that lists all or nearly all, I suggest the specialty books for each series. For example, VAM collectors use the VAM encyclopedia and also vamworld.com. >>

i agree with rampage on this one. penny whimsey (if you can find it) and many others. happy hunting
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...i believe that most that are listed in the CPG are coins that TPG's will recognize as attributable.

has anyone else heard the same image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

<< <i>...i believe that most that are listed in the CPG are coins that TPG's will recognize as attributable.

has anyone else heard the same image >>

The TPGs have all stated that if it is in the CPG, they will attribute it.

• tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...thanks. i'm glad it wasn't my imagination. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>...i believe that most that are listed in the CPG are coins that TPG's will recognize as attributable.

has anyone else heard the same image >>

The TPGs have all stated that if it is in the CPG, they will attribute it. >>

Not entirely true. PCGS has a list of certain varieties listed in CPG that they will not attribute. Not sure where this list is, but I know the 1943 Master Die DDO halves are on it.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I have heard that there are a few exceptions that the TPGs consider minor varieties and PCGS or NGC
    will not list them by their FS number even though in CPG

a couple IKES and the 1914/3 buff overdates come to mind but I think you have to
    scour website to see if you can find listing
    is there a section for submitting 'variety attribution' ?

edit to add, read your question again - CPG just lists major varieties

if you want all, go to CONECA website - but they have descriptions and no/few pictures
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Yes, PCGS will do MOST of the CPG listings but not all.
    Some TPGs like ANACs will attribute anything in the CPG and anything in the Coneca listings or Coppercoins.

I don't think anything can ever list all the known varieties, it's always changing and standards are different.
    The closest thing to a full list might be the combination of the Coppercoins listings plus the Coneca listings.

Coppercoins, it has great photos:
    2500+ listings on Coppercoins

Coneca, they only have photos for some varieties:
    Coneca master listings
    Ed

<< <i>a couple IKES and the 1914/3 buff overdates come to mind but I think you have to
    scour website to see if you can find listing
    is there a section for submitting 'variety attribution' ?
    >>

Actually, I was told they will do the 1914/3, but it has to be a particular die pair. There's like 8 different ones and they only will do one of them or something like that. Someone else can correct me on that I am certain.

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, with most of the listed $ values, cut them in half (at least) to determine what you'd get for them on eBay. Aside from that I LOVE the CPG. It has paid for itself many times over.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, with most of the listed $ values, cut them in half (at least) to determine what you'd get for them on eBay

This is more a statement on eBay buyers not willing to pay the right price, not a statement on the prices in the book, which are supposed to be what you should expect to get for a variety.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    I don't mean to hi-jack the thread and feel free to overlook my question, but does anyone have any idea what would a first edition CPG be worth or where I could find some kind of idea as to the price of one? I saw none on eBay including completed sales.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file