Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

FSH @ cost: Roman antoninianus of FLORIAN, 276 AD (rare emperor- ruled only 88 days!)

This guy ruled for a mere 88 days before being killed by his own troops (an all-too-common occupational hazard for Roman emperors in the 3rd century!) That was 1,735 years ago. Who knows how many coins with his portrait were struck, and how many of them survive today?

Usually coins of the emperors and usurpers who ruled for mere days or months are prohibitively expensive, but there are some happy exceptions. I'm offering this one at $99 delivered. I paid $90 plus shipping for it here two years ago, so by the time I pay shipping to you, I'm basically selling it at cost. Really, I'm only selling it because my focus has shifted to the first century AD and the era of the "Twelve Caesars".

Florian, AE antoninianus, 276 AD.
Obverse: IMP C FLORIANVS AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
Reverse: CLEMENTIA TEMP, Clementia standing left with scepter, leaning on column, XXIZ in exergue.
22 mm, 3.7 g. Ex-Nemesis Ancients & Antiquities, 07/2008.

Wikipedia bio of Florian(us)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments