Home U.S. Coin Forum

Error fans: I bought a 1969 Mint Set with a clipped planchet **PHOTOS ADDED** for the Kennedy half.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
............ and valuable is this type of error?

The clip is easily seen through the mint cello. It runs from the E to the B in Liberty on the obverse of the coin.

This is the first clipped planchet coin I have ever found and could not pass up buying the set for $4.75. Subtracting the cent, nickel, dime and quarter (41 cents) the half cost me $4.34.

So did I get a bargain?image

Comments

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say you got a nice rip, clips in Mint sets aren't unheard of but they are certainly not common. I've seen a lot more small denomination coins (cent thru dime) than I have quarters or halves, and to the best of my memory I don't recall seeing another clipped 40% silver half in a Mint set.

As an avid collector of this sort of error (I have a denomination set , cent thru dollar, of business strike clips in government issue packaging), I'd have no problem paying in the $40-60 range for such a set. Someone with a broader view of the market like Fred Weinberg can tell you if I'm being a cheapskate.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow Kev! Super buy!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd say you got a nice rip, clips in Mint sets aren't unheard of but they are certainly not common. I've seen a lot more small denomination coins (cent thru dime) than I have quarters or halves, and to the best of my memory I don't recall seeing another clipped 40% silver half in a Mint set.
    >>

This wraps it up pretty well.

I've seen fewer than a dozen clips in the many thousands of the sets
    I've looked at and most are on the nickel, then cent, then quarter. I've
    never seen a half dollar clip in the packaging.
    Tempus fugit.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like I did very well on the pickup.

Thanks for the information gents. I appreciate it.
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    For 20 years everyone has told me that since flat packs can be
    easily faked with commonly available material, the only valuation should be the coin itself. However, seeing crazy prices for non-CC
    GSA dollars in flat packs, perhaps that has changed. Would PCGS certify an error piece as coming from a Mint Set if they could determoine that
    the packaging was real and untampered with?
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$4.75. Subtracting the cent, nickel, dime and quarter (41 cents) the half cost me $4.34. >>

Great buy to get the clipped half for $4.34!
    The 69 quarter is worth hanging onto as well.

Ed
  • pic??

• << <i>I'd say you got a nice rip, clips in Mint sets aren't unheard of but they are certainly not common. I've seen a lot more small denomination coins (cent thru dime) than I have quarters or halves, and to the best of my memory I don't recall seeing another clipped 40% silver half in a Mint set.

As an avid collector of this sort of error (I have a denomination set , cent thru dollar, of business strike clips in government issue packaging), I'd have no problem paying in the $40-60 range for such a set. Someone with a broader view of the market like Fred Weinberg can tell you if I'm being a cheapskate.

Sean Reynolds >>

I think Sean's price range is correct. These sets don't sell for a "lot" but there is a premium over the coin being out of the set. Nice find!

Jon
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Mornin' all -

I agree with Sean's price range; maybe it's
    a bit low (I might have given a range of
    $50-$85, depending on the denomination
    and size of the clip, of course).

I've seen/heard/handled maybe close to
    two dozen sets, or a touch more.

Surprisingly, I've also seen over 15 or so
    Proof Sets with very minor rim clips/clips.....
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find and lots of experts opinions which is why this place is so great.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    we need pics
    Thanks for the informative replies.

I calculated the net cost of the clipped half dollar incorrectly. I neglected to count the coins in the Philly cello. I only counted the coins in the Denvver cello. Instead of a net costs of $4.34, my actual net cost is $3.92.

Further, the 1969 Philly quarter is very nice, in fact it is one of the nicer 1969 Philly quarters I have seen. It does not have the large number of planchet marks that you usually find on these quarters.

Sorry no pics. I can try and take a digital photo of the half through the cello and email it to anyone who is interested. If so, PM me with your email address.
    I didn't realize this thread grew some legs yesterday. Here's an old post of my denomination set in government issue packaging, and the half I've also shown below. SanctionII, I'll PM you my email and if you want to send along a picture I'll host it to the thread.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    TTT.

I finally took some photos of the Denver Mint Set in the Cello and of the obverse and reverse of the clipped half dollar.

I emailed the photos to Modcrewman and he will post the photos to this thread, hopefully later today.

I will be looking into opening a Photobucket account and posting pics myself.

SIIimage
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for slacking off Kevin. image

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • nice find
  • Nice find!

Are there many 1970-D or 1987-P&D 50c clips or other errors known? I ask because of Frank's post that the flat packs can be tampered with. Obviously, these couldn't be faked as coming out of mint sets.

<< <i>Nice find!

Are there many 1970-D or 1987-P&D 50c clips or other errors known? I ask because of Frank's post that the flat packs can be tampered with. Obviously, these couldn't be faked as coming out of mint sets. >>

I know of four or five clipped 1970-D halves, a friend owned three of them at one time, two still in the original Mint packaging. I don't know if he had either of the 1987 issues in his collection, I wasn't aware they were Mint set only and wouldn't have thought to ask.

Sean Reynolds

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I'd say it looks like you only got 49 cents out of that Kennedy.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
    Thread Title edited to note that Photos have been added.

Thanks to Modcrewman for posting the photos.

This find is a prime example of the addage "If you do not look, you will never know what you are missing." On a whim I stopped by a B&M on the way back from a court hearing, just to snoop and satisfy my curiosity. Took 10-15 minutes and less than $5.00 to find and acquire something that is unusual and worth multiples of what I paid for it.image

Anyone else have any thoughts/comments on how common or uncommon this type of error [clipped planchet 40% silver half in a Mint Set] is?
    Your set has a nice-sized clip on it for
    a Mint Set clipped planchet half.

I'd say that the 40% Half clips in Mint
    Sets are scarcer than the clad ones,
    but mainly due to the shorter span of them.

Scarce, not rare, and Sean was in the
    right ballpark - it's a $75, maybe $100 tops,
    (full retail priced) item....the clip is a bit
    larger than more others I've seen in Mint
    Sets...

Not bad at all for under $5....congrats.......
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
    Thanks for the information Mr. Weinberg.

You indicated that the clip is nice sized. I am not that familiar with these types of errors and thought that the clip was on the small size. How common or uncommon is it to see this type of error where [using a Kennedy half as an example] the clip runs from the L in Liberty to the Y in Liberty and removes 15-20% of the metal of the coin? At some point in time does the removal/absence of metal in this manner change the label used to describe the error from a "clipped planchet" to something else?
    Let me rephrase the hypo. Instead of from L to Y in Liberty [don't know what I was thinking], change the hypo to from L to B in Liberty.
    What I meant was that most
    are either rim clips, or smaller
    clips.

The clip on your half isn't large,
    but it's a -bit- larger than most of
    the other clipped planchets
    (of any denom) seen on average
    in sealed Mint Sets.

It's probably a 2-3% clip, if we weighed
    it out of the set (which of course
    should not be done!)
    Here's mine, it's a 1996-P still in the Mint Set packaging. the good news is the clip about as big as Sanction's, but the bad news is it's not silver. image

Sean Reynolds

Sean, Your clipped Kennedy looks
    larger, imo.

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's mine...neither silver nor in a mint set, nor uncirculated for that matter. I found mine roll searching half dollars. image

imageimage
    I think that Sean's half has a much larger clip than mine.

Or maybe my eyesight is not very goodimage
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that Sean's half has a much larger clip than mine.

Or maybe my eyesight is not very goodimage >>

Or maybe Sean's eyesight isn't? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file