Home U.S. Coin Forum

Wow!!!!!

I sure do love that purdy '41 D Merc at Pinnacle! And good lord they sure have a lot if new coins on there.Drool here
All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure - Mark Twain

Comments

• Shameless plug? Us East Coasters think so......image
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Still a nice coin...
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • True, but I don't know why Larry let that one go....

• << <i>I sure do love that purdy '41 D Merc at Pinnacle! And good lord they sure have a lot if new coins on there.Drool here >>

Just think if someone wanted that coin they could have bought it 5 days ago at the heritage fun auction for 951.00 cheaper image

• coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I sure do love that purdy '41 D Merc at Pinnacle! And good lord they sure have a lot if new coins on there.Drool here >>

Just think if someone wanted that coin they could have bought it 5 days ago at auction for 951.00 cheaper image

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1151&Lot_No=4600 >>

That is incorrect and a reckless comment to have made, since you didn't have all of the facts. I know, first hand, that the winning bidder had a maximum bid that was considerably higher than what the coin sold for. If someone had wanted to buy the coin out of the auction, they would have had to pay close to the current asking price.
  • Plug? I wasn't aware that 41 D Mercs were plugged....
    All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure - Mark Twain

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I sure do love that purdy '41 D Merc at Pinnacle! And good lord they sure have a lot if new coins on there.Drool here >>

Just think if someone wanted that coin they could have bought it 5 days ago at auction for 951.00 cheaper image

That is incorrect and a reckless comment to have made, since you didn't have all of the facts. I know, first hand, that the winning bidder had a maximum bid that was considerably higher than what the coin sold for. If someone had wanted to buy the coin out of the auction, they would have had to pay close to the current asking price. >>

The comment was neither incorrect or reckless, the coin just sold 5 days ago for 951.00 cheaper, needless to say the assumption is clear that it could have been picked up for for less then the current asking price.
    Oh good old mark back to patrol the forum ?? And just think it was a mere 6 months ago we last got into it. Glad to see your still in your good old form.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

That is incorrect and a reckless comment to have made, since you didn't have all of the facts. I know, first hand, that the winning bidder had a maximum bid that was considerably higher than what the coin sold for. If someone had wanted to buy the coin out of the auction, they would have had to pay close to the current asking price. >>

The comment was neither incorrect or reckless, the coin just sold 5 days ago for 951.00 cheaper, needless to say the assumption is clear that it could have been picked up for for less then the current asking price.
    Oh good old mark back to patrol the forum ?? And just think it was a mere 6 months ago we last got into it. Glad to see your still in your good old form. >>

You didn't merely say the coin sold for $951 less in the auction. That would have been correct. You said "Just think if someone wanted that coin they could have bought it 5 days ago at auction for 951.00 cheaper" and that was flat out wrong, as well as highly misleading, to the tune of several hundred dollars.
  • Oh mark,

Semantics my good old buddy semantics.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <Just think if someone wanted that coin they could have bought it 5 days ago at the heritage fun auction for 951.00 cheaper>

100% false and misleading. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Just think if someone wanted that coin they could have bought it 5 days ago at the heritage fun auction for 951.00 cheaper image >>

How can you state that for a fact if you don't know how high the winner was willing to bid or what their max bid was?
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com

• << <i>

<< <i>
    Just think if someone wanted that coin they could have bought it 5 days ago at the heritage fun auction for 951.00 cheaper image >>

How can you state that for a fact if you don't know how high the winner was willing to bid or what their max bid was? >>

I honestly dont care, the fact is the coin sold five days ago for 951.00 cheaper.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

How can you state that for a fact if you don't know how high the winner was willing to bid or what their max bid was? >>

I honestly dont care, the fact is the coin sold five days ago for 951.00 cheaper. >>

Thanks for admitting you don't care about having made a misleading statement, and possibly at another dealer's expense. I suspect you would care if someone did the same to you about one of your coins, currently for sale.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I honestly dont care, the fact is the coin sold five days ago for 951.00 cheaper. >>

Thanks for admitting you don't care about having made a misleading statement, and possibly at another dealer's expense. I suspect you would care if someone did the same to you about one of your coins, currently for sale. >>

A coin is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, so 5 days ago this coin WAS worth $951.00 dollars less then the asking price now. Maybe in the future they'll find someone who thinks its worth the extra $$ good luck

• It really is a superior looking coin.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thanks for admitting you don't care about having made a misleading statement, and possibly at another dealer's expense. I suspect you would care if someone did the same to you about one of your coins, currently for sale. >>

A coin is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, so 5 days ago this coin WAS worth $951.00 dollars less then the asking price now. Maybe in the future they'll find someone who thinks its worth the extra $$ good luck >>

According to your definition of "worth", if you took an MS65 High Relief to a coin shop and they were willing to pay only $20 for it, it would be "worth" $20 - "worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it".

That aside, soty27 was correct with respect to what the coin sold for in the auction. But he went a step further, with his misleading statement "Just think if someone wanted that coin they could have bought it 5 days ago at auction for 951.00 cheaper". And, when that was pointed out to him, after initially claiming that his comment wasn't incorrect, he posted that he honestly didn't care that he didn't know what the winning bidder's maximum bid was.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

A coin is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, so 5 days ago this coin WAS worth $951.00 dollars less then the asking price now. Maybe in the future they'll find someone who thinks its worth the extra $$ good luck >>

According to your definition of "worth", if you took an MS65 High Relief to a coin shop and they were willing to pay only $20 for it, it would be "worth" $20 - "worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it".

That aside, soty27 was correct with respect to what the coin sold for in the auction. But he went a step further, with his misleading statement "Just think if someone wanted that coin they could have bought it 5 days ago at auction for 951.00 cheaper". And, when that was pointed out to him, after initially claiming that his comment wasn't incorrect, he posted that he honestly didn't care that he didn't know what the winning bidder's maximum bid was. >>

Mark,

In my opinion we are debating semantics, yes the coin sold five days ago for 951.00 cheaper, no I am not 100% sure what the winning bidders max bid was so stating you could have picked the coin up five days ago for 951.00 was just a hypothetical guess. Was the statement misleading? I dont think so considering the hammer price at auction, was the statement reckless? Again I do not think so considering the hammer price at auction. And on another note I never said I did not care about making a misleading statement, I said I did not care that I was unaware of the dealers max bid at auction, My point was that the coin sold for much cheaper 5 days ago. Maybe the way I worded my statement was incorrect and for that I can apologize.
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Nobody needs to twist your words. Your statement was incorrect and misleading.

Perhaps you don't care about that, but many of us do.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

• << <i>Nobody needs to twist your words. Your statement was incorrect and misleading.

Perhaps you don't care about that, but many of us do. >>

I made it very clear in my last post that I do not feel the statement was misleading.

<< <i>

<< <i>Nobody needs to twist your words. Your statement was incorrect and misleading.

I made it very clear in my last post that I do not feel the statement was misleading. >>

You also said someone "could have bought it 5 days ago at the heritage fun auction for 951.00 cheaper".

We all saw how that turned out.

• drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yawn.....

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Nobody needs to twist your words. Your statement was incorrect and misleading.

I made it very clear in my last post that I do not feel the statement was misleading. >>

You also said someone "could have bought it 5 days ago at the heritage fun auction for 951.00 cheaper".

We all saw how that turned out. >>

Yes I should have said the coin just sold 5 days ago for 951.00 less at the fun auction, better yet I probly should have just said nothing image
    p.s. I see you have amended one of your posts above to include an apology, and it was a lack of one that led me to respond. Reading that (along with your post immediately above), I have nothing else to say other than I apologize for rehashing something where you've admitted the error of your ways. image
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

We all saw how that turned out. >>

Yes I should have said the coin just sold 5 days ago for 951.00 less at the fun auction, better yet I probly should have just said nothing image >>

"Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    I'm not the sharpest tool in this shed but it also looks to me as if smoebody bought it last week for $3,000 and is selling it this week for $4,000. The coin market is smokin hot!!
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

<< <i>I'm not the sharpest tool in this shed but it also looks to me as if smoebody bought it last week for $3,000 and is selling it this week for $4,000. The coin market is smokin hot!! >>

And what you see is not the whole story. The current seller did not buy it out of the auction and paid quite a bit more than $3000 for it.

I was the winning bidder in the auction, with a maximum bid, well in excess of what the coin sold for.
  • Why is the current seller trying to turn the coin around so fast, I would want to sit around and admire it for a little while before selling it unless there was a lot of money to be made.

<< <i>Why is the current seller trying to turn the coin around so fast, I would want to sit around and admire it for a little while before selling it unless there was a lot of money to be made. >>

The current seller is a dealer, and typically, dealers are in business to turn coins around, even ones that are worthy of admiration. image
  • TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is the current seller trying to turn the coin around so fast, I would want to sit around and admire it for a little while before selling it unless there was a lot of money to be made. >>

Because that's what sellers do. Now if I won the auction, that's exactly what I would do..admire it for a while.

Tom

• << <i>

The current seller is a dealer, and typically, dealers are in business to turn coins around, even ones that are worthy of admiration. image >>

Thanks Mark, I wrongly assumed you sold it to a collector.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    We don't twist words here, it's only some of the folks, that are warped a bit.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< I'm not the sharpest tool in this shed but it also looks to me as if smoebody bought it last week for $3,000 and is selling it this week for $4,000. The coin market is smokin hot!! >>

And what you see is not the whole story. The current seller did not buy it out of the auction and paid quite a bit more than $3000 for it.

I was the winning bidder in the auction, with a maximum bid, well in excess of what the coin sold for. >>

Oh. So smoebody didn't buy it for $3k and is selling it for $4k. Smoebody bought it for $3k then sold it to smoebody else who is selling it for $4k. In the words of a famous blind man, "I see!"
    Maybe soty27 should have said: Just think when Mark feld wanted that coin he bought it 5 days ago at the heritage fun auction for 951.00 cheaper image
    While we're talking about coins, it has a small area of tarnish at the top of the obv that's pretty but the 68 grade is what I find impressive.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

<< <i>

<< <i><< I'm not the sharpest tool in this shed but it also looks to me as if smoebody bought it last week for $3,000 and is selling it this week for $4,000. The coin market is smokin hot!! >>

I was the winning bidder in the auction, with a maximum bid, well in excess of what the coin sold for. >>

Oh. So smoebody didn't buy it for $3k and is selling it for $4k. Smoebody bought it for $3k then sold it to smoebody else who is selling it for $4k. In the words of a famous blind man, "I see!"
    Maybe soty27 should have said: Just think when Mark feld wanted that coin he bought it 5 days ago at the heritage fun auction for 951.00 cheaper image
    While we're talking about coins, it has a small area of tarnish at the top of the obv that's pretty but the 68 grade is what I find impressive. >>

It's quite a coin, technically and aesthetically.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file