Home U.S. Coin Forum

$1 Gold Counterfeit Screening

I mentioned that I picked up some raw circulated gold in this thread.
Someone suggested I post some bigger pictures of the $1 gold pieces. I know there are a lot of counterfeits. If anyone of you have the time and knowledge, feel free to review some of the images and provide opinions. I appreciate it. They were pretty cheap, but there is an open return policy.

My lighting got messed. Having a hard time with the tiny coins. Pictures aren't the best. In hand, they look closer to the scans than the photos.

Scans-

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They all appear to be authentic based on your most excellent pics.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They all appear to be authentic based on your most excellent pics. >>

I agree. I wouldn't have wanted to assess them, based just on the scans. But the photographs allow for a good look at the coins.
  • In the United States Gold counterfeit detection guide, there are 3 examples of 1851 counterfeit dollars. From what I can see from your photos, is that they appear to be genuine compared to just the pick up points in the 3 examples. If the weight is right, I would say they are genuine based on the photos provided.
  • ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the first two, but don't like the look of the third one. The stars over Liberty on the obverse are too weak, and I don't like the dentils on the reverse.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All three are genuine. And, your photos are really good~
  • Thank you! I appreciate the replies and your expertise. Was concerned about a couple things on the 2nd and 3rd coins, so I took some close-ups. Guess they're not needed any more, but I'll post them anyway. Looks like it's just some die polishing and wear.

Again, thanks for your time.

2nd

3rd

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely authentic based on the new pics, The fine die polish within the letters of LIBERTY is a diagnostic/characteristic of real gold dollars.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file