Home U.S. Coin Forum

for those that have a great handle searching on these forums, could anyone be so kind to give a step

tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...on HOW to perform one? i think it may cut down on questions and comments when someone wants info

but are somewhat challenged on searching. this would help newbies and vets as well. i think it is taken for

granted everyone knows how to perform the search. i find it somewhat confusing myself (no surprise).

thanks for any help. image
"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Comments

• canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭
    It doesn't work. Period. The only thing you can do is search the titles of the current forum you are in ... above all the topics, it says Search Category:...

Other than that it just doesn't work, and it is extremely frustrating. I'm sure every question I've asked could have been avoided had the search function worked properly... and believe me, I've tried. Maybe time to update the software?
  • imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭
    Search has worked just fine for me since I started in "07"....Best to try an pick one word that bests describes what is on your mind. More than that it works less. May have to scan unrelated posts, but you will find many posts that do "fit".
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...i think i'll just call carol and have her 'splain it to me. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • On a more serious note (than my other post), one thing it took me a while to figure out is when you go to the advanced search page, you have to check the "U.S. Coin Forum" box (or whatever forum you want to search).

The default is "Announcements & News" and if you don't pick more forums to search, you are not going to get the results you want.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The search function does work, it is a pain in the butt though. You have to know what you are looking for and get the search parameters perfect.
    If you search "5oz rounds" you will find the mega puck thread.
    If you search "5 oz rounds" (note the space between 5 and oz) you will not get it.

If you add the plural in your search but your target does not have the plural, you will not get it. If you use the singular but the target has a plural, you should get it.
    Example: Target=5oz rounds. Search "5oz round" and you will get it. Search "5oz rounds" and you will get it.
    Example: Target=5oz round. Search "5oz round" and you will get it. Search "5oz rounds" and you will not get it.

Under the "ADVANCED" option located next to your search button you have more options. You can now search for two terms at the same time or search one term and exclude another. You can search titles only, text only or both. You can limit your search for a specific time frame (of the last post). You can search for specific members. You can search multiple forums at one time. The best way to learn this is find a target to look for and just start using the search options.

These search parameters result in these thread options.

<< <i>On a more serious note (than my other post), one thing it took me a while to figure out is when you go to the advanced search page, you have to check the "U.S. Coin Forum" box (or whatever forum you want to search).

The default is "Announcements & News" and if you don't pick more forums to search, you are not going to get the results you want. >>

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just search one word in the title.

The search function doesn't always work well except for this which
    is why I avoid posting to thrads with misspellings in the title. The
    simpler you can keep the search the more likely it will work.
    Tempus fugit.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...i believe i'm slowly starting to learn something. image keep it coming. image

<< <i>Just search one word in the title.

The search function doesn't always work well except for this which is why I avoid posting to thrads with misspellings in the title. The simpler you can keep the search the more likely it will work. >>

Yes, you have to get the spelling just perfect. If the thread has a typo, you have to have the same typo.

Also, If you are looking for a thread titled "for those that have a great handle searching on these forums, could anyone be so kind to give a step by step guide......"
    and you type "searching these forums" instead of "searching on these forums" you will not find it. This is why it is easier to search one word, such as "searching" or "search" in this case.
    Under the ADVANCED option you could search "searching" AND "forums" and limit your search to the Title and get your result.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    "Advanced" search is all I've ever used and it works just fine. Type in a "keyword" select "title" and search "us coin forum". If that doesn't give you what you're looking for try "title and body". If you still haven't found it try a different "keyword" or add to make a "keyword phrase". Rinse, lather, repeat.
    I meant Lather, rinse, repeat.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file