Home Sports Talk
Options

Les Miles says no to Michigan.

RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
I hear Michigan is just going to post the job on the local Detroit's Craigslist soon.
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I wonder who is their next choice.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting. I wonder who is their next choice. >>

I saw a report on Espn they were talking to this guy and trying to lure him away to Michigan.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Well that didn't take long. Brady Hoke is their new coach.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Big Step up to go from SDSU to Michigan. Sort of the opposite of SDSU hoops coach Steve Fisher.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I think it's an excellent hire. Hoke is a terrific coach and UM is his dream job. He's not looking to move to the NFL like Harbaugh and he's not half-crazy like Miles. Will be interesting to see what he does with the offense...

Tabe
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Big Step up to go from SDSU to Michigan. Sort of the opposite of SDSU hoops coach Steve Fisher. >>

I guess they (Michigan) must see something very good in him and every big time coach started somewhere. It will be interesting to see how he does.
  • Options
    Well, when you limit your search to "Michigan Men" and Les Miles says no, you get Brady Hoke. He might be a great hire, but they didn't really open the search up very much.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    No one wants the job because they have to go up against Tressel every year lol.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    It's amazing how so many people know more about this process than the individuals that were actually involved in it. Brandon said he spoke to others besides "Michigan Men", an overused term overtaken by the media in response to a Schembechler statement about a basketball coach abandoning his position. The call by the fans for a Michigan Man is something much different than what the media uses it for. The fans simply want a guy that embraces the university, its history, traditions and the rivalries. It doesn't necessarily have to be a guy from here or from the Schembechler coaching tree. Rodriguez seemed to try too hard to be something different and that's why he was chastised so heavily here.

I like Hoke and really appreciate what he's done at other schools. His overall record may be lackluster, but what he came in to and where he left them at is impressive IMO. Past players all love this guy and he had his hand in many of the recruits back then. He coached some impressive d-lines here and he's a hard-nosed guy that thinks D is a priority. I think he'll be a solid coach and have a quick impact on this teams success. Hopefully the delay in hiring him didn't effect the recruiting too much. They did miss out on Dee Hart because of it, but they have a solid group of RB's and one incoming that can certainly keep the ball moving forward with the right offense. The main concern is trying to keep Denard around. Hoke seems confident in being able to do so. But if Denard leaves, there's other guys here that could easily succeed here. Gardner or Tate would both be viable options and... possibly better ones.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally, I think it's an excellent hire. Hoke is a terrific coach and UM is his dream job. He's not looking to move to the NFL like Harbaugh and he's not half-crazy like Miles. Will be interesting to see what he does with the offense...

Tabe >>

Actually Les Miles is full on crazy. At least his eyes are.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    After nearly 2 full years of coaching, and his recruiting, I think it's safe to say it's been a solid hire so far. He recruited very well last year, and is doing so again this year, even if they players haven't been able to sign yet. The team is headed in the right direction, and if the trend continues, should be competing for NC's in another couple of years. Next year will be telling. They lose the majority of their OL, their best DB, and 3 from the DL. There will be some other loses, but all were RR refugees and will be replaced by young, more talented guys that were mostly recruited by this staff. Gardner, an RR recruit, has looked so impressive that next year could still be very interesting though. One can't help but wonder what this team might have been over the last 2 years had he been given the reigns earlier, and possibly had Denard play a position more suited to his skills.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After nearly 2 full years of coaching, and his recruiting, I think it's safe to say it's been a solid hire so far. He recruited very well last year, and is doing so again this year, even if they players haven't been able to sign yet. The team is headed in the right direction, and if the trend continues, should be competing for NC's in another couple of years. Next year will be telling. They lose the majority of their OL, their best DB, and 3 from the DL. There will be some other loses, but all were RR refugees and will be replaced by young, more talented guys that were mostly recruited by this staff. Gardner, an RR recruit, has looked so impressive that next year could still be very interesting though. One can't help but wonder what this team might have been over the last 2 years had he been given the reigns earlier, and possibly had Denard play a position more suited to his skills. >>

I agree with everything you've said. I honestly believe that, had Hoke made Gardner the started against ND and Nebraska, that Michigan would be 10-1 right now instead of 8-3. The difference in QB play between Gardner and Robinson is so dramatic that I really wonder what the heck the staff was thinking by not having Gardner starting sooner. With Gardner, even if he makes a poor decision on where to throw, the ball at least goes where he's aiming. With Denard, nothing is assured image

I am confident that Hoke has Michigan moving in the right direction and we will see continued improvement under his leadership.

Speaking of Miles and Rich Rod, if you haven't already, pick up the book "Three and Out", which covers RichRod's tenure at Michigan. Some interesting tidbits from it: 1) Lloyd Carr not only failed to recruit his last couple years at Michigan (other than maybe Ryan Mallett), he actually told current players and incoming ones to go elsewhere; 2) Les Miles actually agreed to come to Michigan as their coach before RichRod's hiring. Michigan, however, wanted Miles to skip LSU's bowl game, which he refused to do. Why? It was the NATIONAL TITLE GAME. Good grief Michigan. Like the guy would skip that game.

GREAT book.

Three and Out by John Bacon

Tabe