Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Cleaning TPG company holders

Does anyone else feel the need to clean slabs purchased from other sellers? New slabs received directly from a third party grader are obviously not an issue, but whenever I buy a coin on the open market I always feel the need to clean it up! Anyone else? If so, what methods are used?
What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I used Mother's Plastic Polish. It works great for PCGS slabs. NGC slabs take more work and I haven't found anything that works really well for those.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    I feel your pain. Goo Gone is great for removing stickers--price tags and cryptic dealer codes. But, some have ink writing that's tougher to remove. My own human skin oil with sufficient rubbing has removed some of it, but I've got one PCGS slab permanently marked in one corner with a Sharpee, and the coin is not going to upgrade if it's regraded.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    I polish every purchase and then the slab goes under the camera for imaging, the slab then goes into storage. Another benefit of imaging coins upon reciept - when you pull them back out, you don't have any annoying scratches clouding up the view. I bought that Slab-Renew from eBay. I think it was $10 delivered. I use a clean micro fiber to buff out the easy to scratch crappy plastic
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Dishwasher with lots of suds and heat! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    I just hope that slab-doctoring doesn't become a serious issue!
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dishwasher with lots of suds and heat! image >>

Or take them in the bathtub with you like one guy here did years ago.image
  • Options
    Dishwasher, bathtub, I think I'll pass!
    lol
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget peanut butter. No really - the oils dissolve the gum from labels that have been removed.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I have used Goo Gone with good luck

and do not use acetone (I did once), because it makes it very cloudy and you can't see through it

I have heard of people buffing/polishing but I think that is probably overkill
  • Options
    WD 40 to remove stickers, then some warm soap and water
    dont send sheep to kill a wolf...
  • Options
    When I add a PCGS slab to my collection, it will go through the Slab-Renew process. Slab-Renew will remove any minor scratches and give the slab that brand new look. It's amazes me that collectors will allow slabs to aquire scratches, major or minor.

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I clean the stickers off with Isopropyl Alcohol on a clean cloth. For those pesky hairlines and scratches I use Meguiar's PlastX Available at any auto supply store.