Home U.S. Coin Forum

Happy Birthday LEWIS FEUCHTWANGER Post em' if ya got em'!

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
January 11, 1805 in Furth, Bavaria a little child entered the World. His ancestors, German Jews...were forced to concentrate in this area during a pogrom. Lewis was of above average intelligence, and studied Medicine at the University of Jena. In 1829, he emigrated to the United States, and settled in New-York City. During these years, he established his business as a Pharmacist, Dentist, Medical Doctor, Importer, 'curiosity shop operator' and yes, a Coiner. His life story is fascinating. I would urge those who wish to know more to read Q. David Bowers "More Adventures with Rare Coins".

But the period we, as numismatists, are most concerned with is the flurry of activity during the economic troubles of 1837. We cannot underestimate the cajones of this man. Here he is, age 32, a recent emigrant to this country....petitioning Congress to adopt his metal compositon to replace the copper then in use for our minor coinage. He struck sample pieces, distributed them to government officials, wrote Mint Directors......He done all he could do.

In the end, we have justified many of the things he innovated. Our small cent is exactly the same size as his pattern cent, the three cent denomination, of which he was the first to introduce, proved to be a fore runner of the US federal issues of 1851 silver and 1865 copper nickel pieces. Indeed, his metal was not too far from the clad outer layer that is the basis of our modern coinage.

A man ahead of his time, Lewis Feuchtwanger.

designed by Stefanie

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I really like the Feuchtwanger's. Too bad there's an obsessive collector of these coins, otherwise I might consider collecting them! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    imageimage
  • Al21Al21 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    /image

Successful BST transactions with WTCG, NH48400, evil empire,
    meltdown, timrutnat, bumanchu, 2ndCharter, rpw, AgBlox, indiananationals, yellowkid, RGJohn, fishteeth, rkfish, Ponyexpress8, kalshacon, Tdec1000, Coinlieutenant, SamByrd, Coppercolor
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe one day i can afford to get one of these. if we ever get out of this great economy that were in
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a beautiful 5G and a great illustration of those blasted "bifurcated letters" which your example shows.

Heres my example, which has an entirely different look to the letters on the reverse. Intersting~ and proving that the one cent pieces can show this feature as well as the the three cent.

PS the EZ diagnostic for obverse 5 is the curved 'bar' under the ground above the 3

imageimage
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have posted this one before as it is the only one I own. A 5-H variety.
    imageimage
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1837 Feuchtwanger Cent, HT-268 / Low-120 Variety 6-I, German Silver.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
    Beautiful Example Broadstruck I know there are colors on that coin that we are not seeing in your photo!

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump for some great pictures!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Beautiful Example Broadstruck I know there are colors on that coin that we are not seeing in your photo!

image >>

i like image this is a way nice example

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file