Home Sports Talk
Options

Newton a Pro QB

What are your thoughts... I think an average QB at that. Reminds me more of Vick where he wants to use his legs first and throw second...

Thoughts?

Cory
----------------------
Working on:
Football
1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
1938 Goudey (56.25%)
1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)

Comments

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Solid 3rd Round Pick... nothing higher.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Huge, fast, and a big arm. Doesn't sound like a third round pick. I say mid to late first.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Late 1st - stud!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    He looks every bit as good as Josh Freeman, and we see how that's turned out (at least so far).
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    JaMarcus Russell
  • Options
    JaMarcus Russell all over again.
  • Options
    Pretty sad the game tonight came down to one fluke play in the 4th quarter. The ducks got robbed.
  • Options
    I think he will be picked high, but not pan out. Not many running QB's in college do anything in the pros.
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I only watched a few Auburn games last season and I did watch last nights game. From what I saw, Cam would be a NFL prospect. He has some great physical ability, but I think an NFL team would have to realize he's a work in progress.

I think Cam is an incredible athlete, but he really benefited from an explosive offense.

Brian
  • Options

<< <i>Pretty sad the game tonight came down to one fluke play in the 4th quarter. The ducks got robbed. >>

I'm a Pac 10 fan and I watched the whole game and I understand where your coming from, but the Ducks did not get robbed on any one play. They had lots of missed opportunities and also lost their momentum when they failed to score in the red zone when their Head Coach opted to go for the TD instead of a field goal.

As a college football fan, I want the championship games to go down to a final play or final minute.

brian
  • Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Solid 3rd Round Pick... nothing higher. >>

I agree, he's big, athletic and has a strong arm but struggles w/ accuracy, touch, and reading coverage. He's a great college player but very raw as a QB. Overall I really don't understand the hype around him as a pro QB.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Jury is still out on Freeman. There has never been a running/passing QB win anything in the NFL. Cunningham had the leagues best record and got beat by Atl I believe. The closest may have been Steve McNair but he didn't run that much.

Vick is a freakish athlete but you can see what happens with a 16 game season, they get hurt. Tebow will get hurt unless he stops running so much. If they increase it to 18 games then it will even be worse. Most teams will need 2 QBs of starting caliber to make it through the season.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I don't see the comparison with JaMarcus Russell at all. Yes, they are both big guys with rocket arms that played SEC football. But their games are totally different. Russell was mostly a pocket passer. He ran only when he needed to. Cam is more of a Vince Young type. And quite honestly, the problem with Russell is between the ears. If he got his act together, he could still be a great NFL qb. If someone can work with Cam Newton and groom him under the leadership of solid coaching and a veteran quarterback he could develop into what you saw this year from Michael Vick.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    If Tebow got drafted first round I have to imagine Newton will too. He seems to have that winner's mentality in addition to being a great athlete with great size. Late first round (about 25th).
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 great season does not give a fair indicator of how a player will fair at the next level! Just sayin'! image
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>1 great season does not give a fair indicator of how a player will fair at the next level! Just sayin'! image >>

Very true, but I have a sneaking suspicion he needs to declare before somebody forces the NCAA's hand on him.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    The draft projections have him in the late first round. Fairley will be a top ten pick according to the same projections.
  • Options

<< <i>The draft projections have him in the late first round. Fairley will be a top ten pick according to the same projections. >>

OK, what are your thoughts? Do u think he is a long term project or the next Michael Vick?

brianimage
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The draft projections have him in the late first round. Fairley will be a top ten pick according to the same projections. >>

OK, what are your thoughts? Do u think he is a long term project or the next Michael Vick?

brianimage >>

Both. For the most part, Vick was a long-term project; he got by on his legs early on, didn't know how to "think" the position, and took several years to finally "get" it. Extenuating circumstances I know, but....
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Jury is still out on Freeman. There has never been a running/passing QB win anything in the NFL. Cunningham had the leagues best record and got beat by Atl I believe. The closest may have been Steve McNair but he didn't run that much.>>>

Not sure where to start with that statement. Freeman, by most accounts, in on his way to stardom. He made a huge leap this year and is only going to get better, especially as his young team improves around him. McNair ran a ton during his time in Tennessee, when he was going to the Super Bowl and winning league MVP.

As for running/passing QBs, there have been more than a few that played in or won Super Bowls - Tarkenton, Elway, S. Young, McNair (I'm probably forgetting someone). Rodgers will get there someday (maybe this year?). Vick has realized that being a pass-first QB is better than being a run-first QB. That Philly offense is going to be downright scary if they can ever build an offensive line to protect him.

As for Newton, his football IQ and love of the game makes him the complete opposite of Russell. I won't predict where he'll be drafted, but I hope he's drafted by a team with an established QB, where he can sit and watch for a year or two before stepping in.
  • Options

<< <i>1 great season does not give a fair indicator of how a player will fair at the next level! Just sayin'! image >>

Cam was a five star recruit out of high school. Went to the #1 college football school in that land at that time (Florida), but had
    to transfer because of Tebow. Went to a junior college and led them to a championship. So all he's done in his past two seasons
    is lead two teams to consecutive championships.

If you just saw Cam in the championship game, then you watched a kid play on ice, who couldn't get his footing, like all the other
    athletes who were slipping and sliding. If you watched all his games this year, as I have, then you'd be convinced that he is going
    to be a first or second round pick in the upcoming draft.
  • Options
    If I had to guess NFL greatness coming out of college, I would have to put it this way.........

1. Vick
    2. Newton
    3. Young
    4. Tebow
    5. Freeman
    6. Russell

I was suprised to see Vick fail so early, (but perhaps his lifestyle had something to do with that).
    I was suprised to see Young fail too. Thought he'd do better.

I expect Newton to become better then all these quarterbacks under the proper training. He's 6 feet 6 also.
  • Options

<< <i>If I had to guess NFL greatness coming out of college, I would have to put it this way.........

1. Vick
    2. Newton
    3. Young
    4. Tebow
    5. Freeman
    6. Russell

I was suprised to see Vick fail so early, (but perhaps his lifestyle had something to do with that).
    I was suprised to see Young fail too. Thought he'd do better.

I expect Newton to become better then all these quarterbacks under the proper training. He's 6 feet 6 also. >>

Wow very scary when you think about it. just goes to show why a great QB in the NFL gets such a premium based on raw physical talent. Vick improved greatly because of a very good coach. We'll have to see where Young ends up and how Tebow's team handles him next year.

• Options

<< <i>

If you just saw Cam in the championship game, then you watched a kid play on ice, who couldn't get his footing, like all the other
    athletes who were slipping and sliding. If you watched all his games this year, as I have, then you'd be convinced that he is going
    to be a first or second round pick in the upcoming draft. >>

All the players played in the same conditions for sure and hopefully the NCAA finds a way to play the last game much closer to the BCS games. Way too long of a gap for a championship game.

brian