Home U.S. Coin Forum

HSN Home Shopping Network who is supplying them?

DOes anyone here know who is supplying the home shopping network with coins that they sell on television? thnx

Comments

• ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, why? pm me
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    They are getting their 5 oz ATB silver pucks from The Gold Center in Springfield Illinois...
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have multiple suppliers. Depends on what the promotion is. Some of them may be dealers that are members of the C.C.E. Many of them are anonymous by choice/necessity.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Depending on the types of coins there are various dealers that supply HSN. The dealers in the know know who these dealers are.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • I represent a couple of different companies that sell on air and online at HSN. A couple of years ago I was sitting in "the green room" watching the coin hour that was on just before my products were going on air. I remember thinking that after that show all of the old ladies would be completely tapped out after buying slabbed ICG moderns at 4-8 times their real value. Of course I was also thinking how can I get into that act.

I will say that next to all of their staple lines like cosmetics, clothing & computers, the coin shows are the thing the buyers get giddy about the most.
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    depends what they are selling-
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I represent a couple of different companies that sell on air and online at HSN. A couple of years ago I was sitting in "the green room" watching the coin hour that was on just before my products were going on air. I remember thinking that after that show all of the old ladies would be completely tapped out after buying slabbed ICG moderns at 4-8 times their real value. Of course I was also thinking how can I get into that act.

I will say that next to all of their staple lines like cosmetics, clothing & computers, the coin shows are the thing the buyers get giddy about the most. >>

This makes me want to puke that you would even consider getting in on the "action" of robbing innocent people of their income. They don't know any better doesn't mean we should take advantage.

Tom
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    This makes me want to puke that you would even consider getting in on the "action" of robbing innocent people of their income. They don't know any better doesn't mean we should take advantage.

Tom >>

Too many dealers in coins have a "poverty row" mentality where nothing over wholesale prices is expected.
    The coin material sold on TV is no more expensive than any other categories when you consider markup enough to
    provide promotion, advertising, satellite and cable transmission fees, studio people, and a living wage for the distributor
    and retailer. Why shouldn't a 125 year old Uncirculated silver dollar be worth $59? As much a cheap cultured pearl necklace,
    or some vulgar limited edition made-in-China plate with dogs playing poker?
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I am not talking about a nice silver dollar. I am talking about the coins where the markup is 300% or higher. Basically scamming these folks out of hard earned money because of the hype. Yes, they should know that they are being taken advantage of but these folks have no knowledge.

Does it make it right?

Edited to add... I have seen people bring in thousands of dollars worth of tv purchased crap to dealers only to get extremely disappointed when the dealer offers 25% of what the purchase price was.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not buy from them so it dont matter to me who supplies them with what.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not surprisingly they, and other telemarketers, cruise the modern market on ebay and jump on bargains (when they can find them). I would also guess that because of their volume they also do their own grading submittions on what they are able to get directly from the mint.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not buy from them so it dont matter to me who supplies them with what. >>

Would you buy from dealers/companies who do sell to them? Would you buy products from companies who supply services directly to them?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new Leon Hendrickson book gets into SilverTowne's foray into TV marketing.

In my opinion, it is a doubled-edged sword. The TV marketers sell lots of stuff which brings money into the coin market. They bring some people into coin collecting that normally wouldn't get into it. On the other hand the stuff they sell is very much overpriced from all of our "in-the-know" perspective. However, it is no more over-priced than the non-coin stuff they sell.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

• Da Mint?
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

"This Silver Eagle dated 2010 is NOT BEING MADE ANYMORE! You will receive YOUR AMERICAN SILVER EAGLE DOLLAR dated 2010, no longer being made, certified Proof 69 DCAM, that's right folks, many of these proof 69 deep cameos are undergraded, you will receive this coin....for the unheard of low price...........of....$79.95!!!! That's right, this ultra rare, highly graded coin for $79.95 which makes this coin a great investment as some experts are predicting that silver will go up to 14 gazillion dollars per ounce by the end of 2011. Don't miss out on this opportunity folks."

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I do not buy from them so it dont matter to me who supplies them with what. >>

Would you buy from dealers/companies who do sell to them? Would you buy products from companies who supply services directly to them? >>

didnt say that. i said i wouldnt buy from the tv shucksters not the dealers them selfs due to the cost. big difference

• << <i>

<< <i>I represent a couple of different companies that sell on air and online at HSN. A couple of years ago I was sitting in "the green room" watching the coin hour that was on just before my products were going on air. I remember thinking that after that show all of the old ladies would be completely tapped out after buying slabbed ICG moderns at 4-8 times their real value. Of course I was also thinking how can I get into that act.

I will say that next to all of their staple lines like cosmetics, clothing & computers, the coin shows are the thing the buyers get giddy about the most. >>

Tom >>

First of all, that was more of a tongue in cheek comment that you took way too seriously. I too hate seeing these late night shows pushing this clad crap on people for 500x actual value. But as another poster commented when you think about the margins that exist in the "legitimate" coin market, you have to turn a lot of product to make any money at it. And the markup on their cosmetics is probably not that far off the multiple these coin dealers on HSN are pricing these things at.

The bottom line is that people have the right to make money and those making purchases should be informed about what they are buying, or should refrain from doing so. I have this same conversation all the time with people about pharmaceutical companies. They hate the billions of dollars that they make and can't stand it when the CEO's are on TV at golf outings, yet when they are on the gurney about to code in the hospital they all the sudden become a real big fan of Glaxo and Pfizer and could probably give a damn about how much money they make.

Every home loan in America has you paying 2.5 to 4 times the actual value of the home over a 30 year period. Are the banks also "robbing innocent people of their income"?
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The new Leon Hendrickson book gets into SilverTowne's foray into TV marketing.

In my opinion, it is a doubled-edged sword. The TV marketers sell lots of stuff which brings money into the coin market. They bring some people into coin collecting that normally wouldn't get into it. On the other hand the stuff they sell is very much overpriced from all of our "in-the-know" perspective. However, it is no more over-priced than the non-coin stuff they sell. >>

Didn't SilverTowne own the Coin Vault program with our numismatic hero Mr. Robert Chambers?
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!

<< <i>The new Leon Hendrickson book gets into SilverTowne's foray into TV marketing.

In my opinion, it is a doubled-edged sword. The TV marketers sell lots of stuff which brings money into the coin market. They bring some people into coin collecting that normally wouldn't get into it. On the other hand the stuff they sell is very much overpriced from all of our "in-the-know" perspective. However, it is no more over-priced than the non-coin stuff they sell. >>

It would be nice if prices would rise so that stuff purchased from them could actually be resold at a profit.image
    theknowitalltroll;

<< <i>

<< <i>

Would you buy from dealers/companies who do sell to them? Would you buy products from companies who supply services directly to them? >>

didnt say that. i said i wouldnt buy from the tv shucksters not the dealers them selfs due to the cost. big difference >>

I know you didn't say that, but why would you support a dealer who supplies ripoff material to them?
    theknowitalltroll;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file