Home U.S. Coin Forum

2010 Silver Eagle Proof 50 Piece Box, Mint Sealed?

I purchased a 50 piece box, but on the top it appears like it is triple taped and it is not a fancy tape job either. For those that received 50 piece boxes, how was the packaging from the mint? I just want to make sure it is original mint package, i will try to post some pics as soon as I find the camera cable lol

Comments

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing fancy. My 100 coins came in two boxes, and it wasn't 50/50 in each box. My boxes were just sealed with one piece of clear tap on the top and bottom.

• << <i>Nothing fancy. My 100 coins came in two boxes, and it wasn't 50/50 in each box. My boxes were just sealed with one piece of clear tap on the top and bottom. >>

That is what concerns me, the box is sealed with one piece on bottom and it appears three pieces on top, but at close inspection it does not look like it was tampered with.
  • Pictures Attached;

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like my direct purchase. Due to position of shipping label any removal of original tape would leave evidence on the label. That should be the Tell-Tale you are looking for. Seller probably freaked with all of the bad press on quality of these and just decided to flip them without even looking. If he had looked he would have returned bad ones to the mint for refund.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    Does it feel lighter than it should be, and does the very first layer of tape look cut if you look really close?
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Didn't they used to put the order number on the ship label somewhere, such that you could at least verify it on the website?
  • Hopefully its just good old fashion laziness and nothing worse.
  • The tape does not appear cut, the weight feels correct. I was just curious if others have received similar boxes, but most i see on ebay have only one piece of tape all around. I would hate to send it to PCGS for first strike status and then hear the package was tampered with.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the look from the side. If I were buying, with that photo, I would not buy it as "mint sealed".
    None of my orders (I only had 2 of the 2010 SEA proofs, and only 10 max on one and 5 on the other), had tape that sloppy.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>I don't like the look from the side. If I were buying, with that photo, I would not buy it as "mint sealed".
    None of my orders (I only had 2 of the 2010 SEA proofs, and only 10 max on one and 5 on the other), had tape that sloppy. >>

I agree, the pictures on the auction did not show that side of the box, I will take it outside tomorrow to double check but the tape does not appear to have been cut. It is just really sloppy, the seller was willing to take them back and do a full refund. But at this point, I think I am keeping them, I got two boxes. Maybe open one and see how the coins look and send the second to PCGS since they qualify for FS designation. By the way, how much do they charge to grade these coins?
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If done right, you wouldn't be able to tell on the tape.
    A nice, thin, cut to open and a carefully placed amount of tape, and it would be something that wouldn't be that noticeable on a normal opening......only if you were looking for it.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• I opened one of the boxes "the one pictures, I peeled the three pieces of tape. All of the pieces where complete "no cuts" and the box did not appear to have been previously opened, I guess we will have to chalk this one to a crappy mint tape job. To my surprise these coins looked a heck of allot nicer than the ones I returned to the mint.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file