Home U.S. Coin Forum

1874-CC Trade dollar...Real or fake?

crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
A friend of mine took a chance and bought a Carson City trade dollar. He has just brought it over for a look see, but I'm pretty sure it's a fake, but to be sure I just thought I would ask the experts on this forum. Thanks a bunch for your opinion.....Joe

imageimage

Weight = 27 grams

imageimage
The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I vote fake.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad fake.
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not an expert on these but it looks fake to me.
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    the CC is all wrong and the relief is too shallow, i vote fake
    Here is one I just got rid of.
    imageimage
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake for sure.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh my, the reverse, but as I found out ATS TDN is only one qualified enough to give a definitive answer.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Positively fake. No doubt at all.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bogus, dude.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• << <i>Positively fake. No doubt at all. >>

i am with him
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure I like it either but how about some reasons?
    Lance.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I don't know.
    I think folks should reserve their opinions until an expert like TradeDollarNut looks at it.

<< <i>I don't know.
    I think folks should reserve their opinions until an expert like TradeDollarNut looks at it. >>

I respect crypto79's opinion on these also.
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A friend of mine took a chance and bought a [raw] Carson City trade dollar. >>

Why would someone who doesn't know trade dollars take that chance? And if one more opinion matters, I vote counterfeit.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>A friend of mine took a chance and bought a [raw] Carson City trade dollar. >>

Why would someone who doesn't know trade dollars take that chance? And if one more opinion matters, I vote counterfeit. >>

He is a young collector, just started out, and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. I got him interested in coins and it has really got a hold of him, just loves the hobby. To answer your question, he took a chance and I think we all have in this hobby , one way or another. He'll get his money back as he payed through Paypal and he even told me "if it looks to good to be true, than it probably is". I'm sure he has learned his lesson.
    But now that I have looked at this coin, and able to take images of this piece, I can tell you it has been cast, face side down as you can see where there metal has solidified around the dirt, and it's very porous on the surface.
    I want to thank all for your opinions, it is appreciated....Joe
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I was trying to be dry and facetious with my post. But that joke works best only for the truly most horrid trade dollars.
    Since I don't collect them myself, i'm not entirely sure what the variances are. But I expect trade dollars to be very sharply struck coins. On this one, the "E" in FINE is almost gone. The surface is strange. The dentils are faded. There are probably more things.
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    One word: denticles.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>One word: denticles. >>

One word: cough.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did he also show you his new Rolex and Gucci handbag he picked up for his wife? image

I hope he didn't pay a lot for this counterfeit and I hope it doesn't turn him away from the hobby.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Fake!
  • jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Fake as they get. Reeding, especially on reverse, is way off. I dont even look past that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file