Home U.S. Coin Forum

Leon Hendrickson's life story - "Rare Coins, Rare People"

EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
Leon was signing copies of his book at the SilverTowne table. I got a copy and it was a fabulous read while I flew home. He details his involvement such things like:

The great silver certificate redemption of 1967.

The silver bubble of 1980.

The Dexter 1804 dollar.

The Continental Illinois Hoard. He was a partner in distributing 1400 bags of mostly gem Morgan dollars with Ed Milas.

The Levere Redfield Hoard. Since Steve Markoff had bargained with the estate the sole right to bid, Leon did an end run around everyone and made a deal to buy a portion from Markoff instead of competing against him. Imagine being told you had to bid on a $5 million collection where you didn't know how many there were or what grade they were!

The 1973 attempted robbery. Leon's wife shot and killed one of the intruders. The get-a-way driver was never found and the one who survived got off after only a few years (should have joined his friend on the floor in a pool of blood)

The money-laundering charge. This is a real heartbreaking story. I think everyone should read it. Four years of heartache for a $750,000 cash bullion deal that was a set-up from the Feds. He declared the entire $10K income on his taxes but didn't file the cash reporting form.

If you have any stories of your dealings with Leon, SiverTowne, or just any of the events mentioned, please post them.
Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Comments

• RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    This will be a prime source for the next generation of numismatic writers!
  • BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

I remember him selling you an 1877 IHC PCGS MS66RD (Eagle Eye phase one@1992)
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭
    I forgot to get a copy ... and I had breakfast with Leon a couple of times during the show so I should have remembered ...
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not have any worthwhile stories but have had multiple transactions with Silvertowne, including Leon, over the years, and they are a pleasure to deal with.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leon is top notch. He's freindly, outgoing, and honest.

He's built up a tremendous operation through hard work and fair play.
    Tempus fugit.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The money-laundering charge. This is a real heartbreaking story. I think everyone should read it. Four years of heartache for a $750,000 cash bullion deal that was a set-up from the Feds. He declared the entire $10K income on his taxes but didn't file the cash reporting form. >>

He sold PM's for $750,000 in cash and he wasn't suspicious?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The money-laundering charge. This is a real heartbreaking story. I think everyone should read it. Four years of heartache for a $750,000 cash bullion deal that was a set-up from the Feds. He declared the entire $10K income on his taxes but didn't file the cash reporting form. >>

He sold PM's for $750,000 in cash and he wasn't suspicious?image >>

In those days cash used to be almost as good as real money. He was
    one of the first to be prosecuted for this crime.
    Tempus fugit.
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a fascinating read, thanks for the heads up !!
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought my first gold piece from Leon in Ashland, Kentucky at a Coin Show wayyyyyyyy back in 1976 or 1977. He has always been a terrific gentleman and I frequent his table in Baltimore.

Edited to add at a Coin Show
    Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what was the name of leons book? thanks
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its in the title of this thread
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    That sounds like a great book! I'll have to get a copy if I can find them online somewhere.

I remember I was sitting right next to Mr. Hendrickson in the auction room when his 1804 dollar came up. After it hammered for a whole lotta money and people started to applaud, he looked over at me and smiled and said "not bad" and then the press with cameras rushed over to him.
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭
    I started reading it on the plane ride home from FUN. Good read -- definitely a "thumbs up"!
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Most of the CC Morgans in my lowball set came from Leon... He would always bring the special box to the Chicago shows when they were up here!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file