Home U.S. Coin Forum

I gotta hand it to PCGS....I never would have guarenteed the grade or that coins holdered wouldn't b

I gotta hand it to PCGS....I never would have guarenteed the grade or that coins holdered wouldn't be doctored......

I would have just had a disclaimer that stated that coin grading standards can change over time (from AM to PM, in some cases).....and

that some coins, when graded by PCGS, may be doctored and that in some cases the doctoring can't be detected....so

while we render a good faith opinion, that's all it is.

I admire them.....and what they have done for the coin collecting public.

Comments

• drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I don't think there's a category in the Guinness Book of World Records for the number of threads started or resuscitated from 5 years ago on the PCGS Coin Forum. image

I also don't think PCGS offers any discounts when you kiss their arses. image

What's the infatuation with coin doctoring... almost obsessive? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I agree, almost a spewing of verbal diaharea as of lately on this board. Some folks have too much time on their hands.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I gotta hand it to PCGS....I never would have guarenteed the grade or that coins holdered wouldn't be doctored......

I would have just had a disclaimer that stated that coin grading standards can change over time (from AM to PM, in some cases).....and

that some coins, when graded by PCGS, may be doctored and that in some cases the doctoring can't be detected....so

I admire them.....and what they have done for the coin collecting public. >>

No doubt, their presence has had a seriously good impact on coin collecting in today's environment.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    I also don't think PCGS offers any discounts when you kiss their arses

.....i think he is cleverly doing just the opposite
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The pre-slab and slab eras were started for the purpose of authentication - to rid the hobby of counterfeit, altered and misrepresented coins. But, somewhere in the twilight zone, we now see "collectors" openly buying counterfeit and altered coins made in Colorado, some dealers happily altering coins for profit, and an entire country seemingly hell-bent on making a fake of everything from space shuttles to toothpaste.
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    we now see "collectors" openly buying counterfeit and altered coins made in Colorado

I heard Adrian Crane is in Colorado. What are you insinuating

• << <i>I also don't think PCGS offers any discounts when you kiss their arses

.....i think he is cleverly doing just the opposite >>

Cleverly is a strong word used in the context, as to the original point I suppose that is the main difference between a group who bounces from one failed project to the next and a group that becomes an industry leader. The majority of the topic is based on integrity and that often manifests its-self in other aspects of a company too and is indicative of success. If the buck doesn't stop with PCGS then the collectors take the pain and PCGS is there to level the field and protect.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I gotta hand it to PCGS....I never would have guarenteed the grade or that coins holdered wouldn't be doctored......

I admire them.....and what they have done for the coin collecting public. >>

Without their guarantee, they wouldn't have anywhere near the reputation or business that they do. How many major/top grading companies do you see without such guarantees?
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    Without their guarantee, they wouldn't have anywhere near the reputation or business that they do. How many major/top grading companies do you see without such guarantees?

Moody's
    S&P
    Fitch

to name but a few. They guaranteed all those CDO's that went to zero. Rated em AAA. I think they even offered insurance. All that was worth a warm bucket of spit.

I won't even mention AIG which needed hundreds of billions of dollars for their guarantees on all those derivatives.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    When your the leader in the industry and you'd like to remain the leader, innovative thinking and application to stay ahead of change is a must. Building a dam on a river makes for a nice place to swim and frolic, but the those that depend on that water down stream aren't going to be so happy. Don't dam up your rivers.

Change is inevitable, change or die.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • .yes, "Cleverly" was the wrong choice of words image
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Without their guarantee, they wouldn't have anywhere near the reputation or business that they do. How many major/top grading companies do you see without such guarantees?

Moody's
    S&P
    Fitch

to name but a few. They guaranteed all those CDO's that went to zero. Rated em AAA. I think they even offered insurance. All that was worth a warm bucket of spit.

I won't even mention AIG which needed hundreds of billions of dollars for their guarantees on all those derivatives. >>

I was speaking of coin grading companies, not non-coin rating companies. Sorry for the confusion.
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When your the leader in the industry and you'd like to remain the leader, innovative thinking and application to stay ahead of change is a must. Building a dam on a river makes for a nice place to swim and frolic, but the those that depend on that water down stream aren't going to be so happy. Don't dam up your rivers.

Change is inevitable, change or die. >>

image Very good point. PCGS has stayed ahead of the competition by being innovative.

And my favorite saying on the topic of change is: "Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine." imageimageimage

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• You never know. You just never know.

But, I can say this. There are some people, and we all know who they are.......who are just critics. Only critics. That's all they do, because their lives are meaningless, and they think that they become something when they try to step on something or someone else. They have accomplished nothing and you can know that because if they had, they would tell us about it. They never add to anything or create anything. The never take a risk because they lack self-confidence in their opinions. They never have dreams or plans.

And, like I've said before, being a critic is child's play.

• Adrian, I for one am glad you post so much. It makes this forum much more intresting!

• << <i>Lighten up Adrian, just poking fun at the comeback kid. Be happy that you got your get out of jail card (ie allowed to come back here just so there are no misunderstandings about what I meant) and can post here, obviously you are making up for lost timeimage >>

OK, I'll lighten up. I'm just real sensitive. My whole body has been wrapped up in an ace bandage since I was 15. My nerves are on fire!
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Edited to delete post after private conversation resolved issue.
  • Coming soon in a thread near you:

<< <i>What just happened....I missed the last few posts. While the man posts a lot and some is nonsense there is quite a bit that is entertaining and inquisitive. >>

Some....nonsense....true....but hopefully in at least a marginally entertaining way....
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    What just happened....I missed the last few posts. While the man posts a lot and some is nonsense there is quite a bit that is entertaining and inquisitive.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file