Home U.S. Coin Forum

Feuchtwanger Cent, Rare 2A variety...arrived!

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is an eagle only a mother could love. Pretty obvious to see why Feuchtwanger went "back to the drawing board"...and reworked the design. This is Obverse 2, which is a slight improvement on Obverse 1 (which should arrive here in a few days). Very much a hand engraved piece, and that carries over to Reverse A. This Reverse is only found on obverse 1 and obverse 2. Note the crude letters, and how widely spaced ONE is. Thats a hallmark of this reverse.

O why O why did someone scratch up the reverse like this? No doubt it was done 'back in the day' and even though it is a problem that has caused this piece to reside within an NCS XF details holder....I still like it. This is an R5 piece, with 31 to 75 known. Alan Fischer notes it as a very difficult variety to obtain.

imageimage

Comments

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahhh I looked good with the hastings triplet and it looks like a planchet fissure, not quite into a crack. It carries into the denticles I cant see the reeding because of the slab but it dosent carry over to the reverse.

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>What is to the right of the "7"? >>

It's the Rare 2A variety Feuchtwanger Cent from 18371. image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

• << <i>This is an eagle only a mother could love. Pretty obvious to see why Feuchtwanger went "back to the drawing board"...and reworked the design. This is Obverse 2, which is a slight improvement on Obverse 1 (which should arrive here in a few days). Very much a hand engraved piece, and that carries over to Reverse A. This Reverse is only found on obverse 1 and obverse 2. Note the crude letters, and how widely spaced ONE is. Thats a hallmark of this reverse.

O why O why did someone scratch up the reverse like this? No doubt it was done 'back in the day' and even though it is a problem that has caused this piece to reside within an NCS XF details holder....I still like it. This is an R5 piece, with 31 to 75 known. Alan Fischer notes it as a very difficult variety to obtain.

imageimage >>

It looks like Tic Tac Toe on the reverse.... sad.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That bird sure has a lot of bumble bee in him.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That bird sure has a lot of bumble bee in him. >>

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, a lot of bumblebee. Wait till I get a good photo of the 1A that is coming. THAT eagle is really horrid. The snake looks pretty awful too.

Take a look at how refined the design became with Obverse 6. Very dynamic and artistic.

imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file