Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dino-Lite Microscope

I saw their booth set up at FUN and it looked like a really impressive tool: one that could be used for not only coincs, but baseball cards and stamps and other collectibles.

Any one have any opinions on this nifty device?

Comments

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll find a few threads on them if you do a search. Here's one.
    Lance.
  • NamesJayNamesJay Posts: 328 ✭✭
    Thanks,

I tried searching but kept getting error code: 100.

-J
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I just bought one a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty impressed...the images don't have the great colors I see on some of the websites. For example, varietyvista.com has great pics of the lincoln ddr's with nice red color. The images with the dino kind of wash out in the colors but the detail is really nice. Its also very easy to take pictures, anotate them, etc. I paid like $130 for a usb scope and the desktop arm for it and I'm very pleased.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Does anyone have the contact info for the people that setup at the FUN show?

Gary
  • PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone have the contact info for the people that setup at the FUN show?

Gary >>

Dino-Lite -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions

• << <i>

<< <i>Does anyone have the contact info for the people that setup at the FUN show?

Gary >>

Dino-Lite -Preussen >>

Thanks,

I am looking for a name and number of the rep that was at the show. In the past you could get good deals from the show crew compared to the website.

Gary
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion from ATS:

I don't have one, but they're kind of cool and seem as though they'd be quite useful for some people if:

You don't have a traditional microscope and don't want to invest in the desk space for one
    You find it more comfortable to look at a screen than through eyepieces.
    You can't get pictures through your traditional microscope because your only option is an unsteady hand holding your digital camera
    You want to have a high magnification web-cam, which would be quite useful together with something like Skype for showing someone something more than a static photo of a coin for sale or remote variety attribution. An online dealer that could provide Skype inspection of a coin (during certain hours) in addition to good photos would probably garner a good following.

You will not be able to get full coin shots with a Dino-Lite that are as good as you could get with a $160 setup of cheap camera+tripod+desk lamps. The optics on even cheap cameras are designed to give far higher resolution than those on the Dino-Lite.

To get the sharpest pictures with one of these, use an external light of one color (green or blue) and shoot in grayscale mode. I did this way back when the Intel QX3 microscope was available and got much better results than trying to shoot in color. The blue objective shroud provided me with my blue light.

One thing I should have asked the Dino-Lite guys was if they were going to develop a stereo version. Yeah, it would cost more and require special glasses and software, but it would be cool.
  • PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Gary >>

Dino-Lite -Preussen >>

Thanks,

I am looking for a name and number of the rep that was at the show. In the past you could get good deals from the show crew compared to the website.

Gary >>

I didn't get a business card from the lady at the show, just a catalog with their product lines and website. -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    I was looking into the Dino-Lite too, a while back... decided against it, as the field of view was pretty much limited to small coins - cents, for example - otherwise, you'd only get pieces of the coin. It seemed from prior posts that this was a decent option and good at producing quality pix, but if larger coins (large cents, quarters, halves and dollars) were your focus, the Dino-Lite was pretty limited...

UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file