Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are there any registry sets that allow all slab brands?

I am considering starting a registry for my type set. Not to "compete" with anyone (I couldn't if I wanted to), but more to have a nice, online checklist for my collection so I can regularly view the (gaping) holes in my set. Do any of the registry sets online allow for multiple brands of slab? I have PCGS, NGC and an anacs or two.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    PCGS allows you to add any coin (slabbed, raw, etc.) into their Registry. However, you can only compete with PCGS coins.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    You cannot put anything other than PCGS graded coins into a registry set; however, I believe you can use a tool recently made available by PCGS to create an inventory of all your coins regardless of who slabbed them (raw coins too).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS allows you to add any coin (slabbed, raw, etc.) into their Registry. However, you can only compete with PCGS coins. >>

Thanks! Do you like their way of doing better than another company's? I havn't checked out registry sets at all so I wasn't sure what people seem to prefer....
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    NGC allows their own and PCGS slabs. Not aware of any registry that takes ANACS slabs.

What I love about the PCGS registry is that you can add any size images. NGC only allows up to a certain size. Resizing multiple images can become a pain.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • canadanzcanadanz Posts: 618 ✭✭
    They allow it ATS as well, but I prefer the PCGS method. That being said, I don't think there is anyone that has it set up so you can just enter your slab number from a competing company and have it populate the data for you.
    NGC will allow both PCGS and NGC coins in their Registry, but their point system is so flawed and convoluted. Also, since my children collect their birth year sets (modern) if they have a PCGS MS68 quarter that cost $2,500 and a competitor added a MS69 NGC quarter that cost $450, the NGC MS69 would swallow the PCGS MS68 coin. I like the "inventory" tool that PCGS offers. It's flexible and is a real value add.
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    The number on the insert is irrelevant if the grade on the coin is not according to PCGS standards.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That being said, I don't think there is anyone that has it set up so you can just enter your slab number from a competing company and have it populate the data for you. >>

The SSDC will be doing just this with a VAM Registry, but of the grading services out there, only PCGS and NGC currently expose sufficient information to allow this.

<< <i>They allow it ATS as well, but I prefer the PCGS method. That being said, I don't think there is anyone that has it set up so you can just enter your slab number from a competing company and have it populate the data for you. >>

Yeah, I just want to make sure I have place that basically says to me "This is what is in a type set, this is what you have, and this is what you are missing." I can enter everything manually.

<< <i>

<< <i>They allow it ATS as well, but I prefer the PCGS method. That being said, I don't think there is anyone that has it set up so you can just enter your slab number from a competing company and have it populate the data for you. >>

Yeah, I just want to make sure I have place that basically says to me "This is what is in a type set, this is what you have, and this is what you are missing." I can enter everything manually. >>

You can either agree with Dansco, NGC, PCGS or some other third party or you can make your own decision. Either way, you'll have to do this manually... none of the Registries will tell you which coins you're missing from your type set.
    From the PGCS Registry:

"Although coins which have not been graded by PCGS cannot be used in your sets in the PCGS Set Registry, you can list all your coins in My Inventory, regardless if they are raw or graded by another service. This enables you to keep track of your entire inventory with costs, current values, purchase date, source, comments for display of your Registry coins, and personal notes."
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

<< <i>From the PGCS Registry:

"Although coins which have not been graded by PCGS cannot be used in your sets in the PCGS Set Registry, you can list all your coins in My Inventory, regardless if they are raw or graded by another service. This enables you to keep track of your entire inventory with costs, current values, purchase date, source, comments for display of your Registry coins, and personal notes." >>

Thanks! It sounds like the "my collection" feature at heritage.

<< <i>

<< <i>From the PGCS Registry:

"Although coins which have not been graded by PCGS cannot be used in your sets in the PCGS Set Registry, you can list all your coins in My Inventory, regardless if they are raw or graded by another service. This enables you to keep track of your entire inventory with costs, current values, purchase date, source, comments for display of your Registry coins, and personal notes." >>

Thanks! It sounds like the "my collection" feature at heritage. >>

I'm sure that was their intent.

• << <i>NGC will allow both PCGS and NGC coins in their Registry, but their point system is so flawed and convoluted. Also, since my children collect their birth year sets (modern) if they have a PCGS MS68 quarter that cost $2,500 and a competitor added a MS69 NGC quarter that cost $450, the NGC MS69 would swallow the PCGS MS68 coin. I like the "inventory" tool that PCGS offers. It's flexible and is a real value add. >>

I have heard of modern coin trading at that spreed for like grades but what coin gets $XXXX for a lower grade and $XXX for the higher grade. Maybe MS69-69

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file