Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are these worth getting graded? Kennedy Modern help

Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

Comments

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bother. Both look to be 64 tops. In order for them to be worth your time, they need to grade at least 66 and that is questionable. 67 or better is ideal.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I think the bottom coin is a bit better that a 64 but moderns are a bit tougher to grade I would say.

Edited to add...isn't the 83 D a key date?
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
    The 83D is a better date I think, but the grade still has to be up there around 66 or better to really make it worthwile for grading and shipping costs. PCGS seems pretty tough on clad coinage. Of course the grading standards ae different for clads since it is a harder metal than silver. I have sent in washies and Kennedys that I thought were a lock at 66 and 67, and they all came back 65 and 66. I say 64 becasue these two don't look as good as the ones that I have sent in, but it could be that I am only looking at a pic and not a coin in hand.
    Not trying to be defensive, I know they are tough on modern coins which is why I am asking. Interested to hear other opinons as well image

I know, I'm just sharing what know from past experience.image
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    Not worth submitting.

Russ, NCNE
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    AU58 and MS63
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The '72-D is a little special in that it doesn't appear to be a mint set coin. These
    come extremely nice in both sets and rolls and rolls of this date are fairly common.
    This one has booming luster and is nearly top notch for a roll coin. It's only in about
    the top 5% for mint sets though so won't get a very high grade.

The '83-D is a little special as well since these don't come very nice. If it's really unc
    it should be a candidate for submission in the future perhaps. I believe it's probably
    an unc and will get a bump to MS-64+ for being a very tough date. At this time it's
    a money loser for submission almost certainly.
    Tempus fugit.

<< <i>The '72-D is a little special in that it doesn't appear to be a mint set coin. These
    come extremely nice in both sets and rolls and rolls of this date are fairly common.
    This one has booming luster and is nearly top notch for a roll coin. It's only in about
    the top 5% for mint sets though so won't get a very high grade.

The '83-D is a little special as well since these don't come very nice. If it's really unc
    it should be a candidate for submission in the future perhaps. I believe it's probably
    an unc and will get a bump to MS-64+ for being a very tough date. At this time it's
    a money loser for submission almost certainly. >>

Thanks for you evaluation on these Clad King....I found these both while roll searching for silver!

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just checked past sales on eBay for that 1983-D and a PCGS graded coin in MS66 sold for $39.00 on Jan. 8th. Not going to make a fortune if it can even make that grade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file