Home Precious Metals
Options

Avoirdupois ounces vs. Troy ounces

I am selling these on the BST forum and was getting alot of angry people yelling at me in pm's saying that I was trying to cheat people ( to put it mildly).
80.5 ty. oz.'s in big, odd weight rounds

But after a couple of people forwarded me this info., it appears that those angry people didn't educate themself very well before ranting and raving and accussing me of blatantly false things.
I'm posting it here in case you were not aware and so there is a reference to pull up here for someone else who might run into this. A big thank you go out to OffMetal & cajun. 2 people who obviously took the time to do a little research.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 troy pound = 12 troy ounces = 373 grams
1 avoirdupois pound = 453 grams = 14.566 troy ounces

Avoirdupois weights

Here in the USA we often use the avoirdupois ounce for everyday weighing. Every time you step on the scale at home, or weight food found in the grocery, you use the avoirdupois ounce weight system. There are 16 avoirdupois ounces in a pound.

1 avoirdupois ounce = 437.5 grains, or 28.35 grams. 1 avoirdupois pound contains 16 (avoirdupois) ounces. This makes an Avoirdupois pound equal to about 453.6 grams, or the equivalent of 14.583 "troy ounces".

So what do you get when you buy an ounce ?

The troy ounce is heavier than the typical grocery store (avoirdupois) ounce used in the USA. When you purchase a 1 ounce silver or gold coin, you are receiving a "troy" ounce. If you put that same 1 troy oz. coin on a grocery store scale you will find that it weighs about 10% more than the food (avoirdupois) ounce you are familiar with. It will weigh about 1.1 avoirdupois ounces. A troy ounce is equivalent to about 31.1 grams.

Separately, the troy weight system has it's own definition of a "troy" pound. A "troy pound" contains 12 troy ounces or 373.24 grams (which is over 13 avoirdupois ounces).

It is thought that the troy ounce was named after a weight system used in Troyes France during the Middle Ages.

Troy weights

One troy ounce = 480 grains, or 31.10 grams.

There are also 20 pennyweights to a troy ounce.

A troy pound contains 12 troy ounces (over 13 avoirdupois ounces) and is equivalent to 373.24 grams. 32.15 troy ounces = 1 kilogram.

Consequently, a grocery store pound which weighs 16 avoirdupois ounces (or 453.59 grams) will contain about 14.58 troy ounces.

Perhaps an easy way to compare Troy ounces versus avoirdupois ounces is to look at how they weigh using the metric system
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    WOW!I never knew that! I always thought Avoirdupois was something they put in yogurt! LOL
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options
    bstat1020bstat1020 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭
    Yep, seems like a honest mistake to me.

The issue has been posted a couple times. It is good to have a reminder though. I think Weiss even posted a link on how to pronounce it correctly?

Bstat
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just weigh it on your postal scale and multiply the result by .911

16 postal ounces is equal to 14.57 troy ounces (16x.911)

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just weigh it on your postal scale and multiply the result by .911

16 postal ounces is equal to 14.57 troy ounces (16x.911)

bob >>

Exactly correct. If someone doesn't say troy ounces, I automatically multiply the ounces by .911 to be safe. The only time it is an issue is if they talk about pounds. Then it is difficult to know for sure.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Exactly correct. If someone doesn't say troy ounces, I automatically multiply the ounces by .911 to be safe. The only time it is an issue is if they talk about pounds. Then it is difficult to know for sure.

Yep, that's why I photgraphed them on a scale clearly showing that they were being weighed using the ty. oz. mode...and yet I still had some profanity laced pm's sent my way.
    I figure that posting this will help someone else down the line being that I was apparently being used as a scapegoat.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, piecesofme, with my many dealings with you, I can 100% say that I guarantee you weren't trying to cheat anybody. I know that you are more concerned with your buyer being happy than you are about trying to get an extra dollar or two.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    You as well Don. Don is a class act in case anyone is looking to deal with him...top notch all the way in every way.
  • Options
    profanity laced pm's on BST? I dont believe it! no one on this forum cusses! LOL
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options
    profanity laced pm's on BST? I dont believe it! no one on this forum cusses! LOL
    Yeah, dont you love it when people get all worked up and accuse you of things that are completely false and the whole basis is over something that they dont even know what they are talking about...and then when proven wrong, dont have the nads to apologize. True colors indeed!
  • Options
    I Saw that thread and thought it was cool to have pics of the scale too. People on here aren't always civil when they should be.
  • Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    I saw the thread as well and I thought it was very clear how much each round weighed. I don't even know how it is possible to perceive that you were trying to cheat anyone.
    Zach
  • Options
    I guess i'll just leave it at some people can't see things right in fornt of them...and just feel obliagted to complain and acusse even when it is not justified.
    I don't know how I could've been anymore upfront about the items and their "odd" weights. No matter now because all but the 10 oz.'er have sold. Thanks to all for your input on this and I hope this thread will help someone else down the line.
  • Options
    avoirdupois in English is pronounced differently than avoirdupois in French. Spelled the same, but pronounced differently according to the "listen" function on Google Translator.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Some "one pound" silver rounds are 16 kitchen scale ounces (453 grams) so that ignorant people won't complain that they have been "cheated." Others are (properly) a troy pound of 31.1 grams x 12 oz troy or 373 grams.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com