Home U.S. Coin Forum

71-73 blue ikes question

do those Blue Ike packs (UNC) have both coins (71, 71-D for example) or just a single mint coin in them?

Just curious how they were distributed, I think the blue packs were the alternate to including them in the normal mint sets.

Comments

• UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One coin per packet.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>do those Blue Ike packs (UNC) have both coins (71, 71-D for example) or just a single mint coin in them?

Just curious how they were distributed, I think the blue packs were the alternate to including them in the normal mint sets. >>

The Blue Packs had one 40% silver S-mint coin in them.

I don't know why the 1971 & 1972 Mint Sets did not have cu-ni P&D Ikes in them. It could very well be that they had already begun production of the 1971 sets before the dollar began to be struck and did not want to change the sets in the middle of the year, but the 1972 sets should have had them.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • <<I don't know why the 1971 & 1972 Mint Sets did not have cu-ni P&D Ikes in them. It could very well be that they had already begun production of the 1971 sets before the dollar began to be struck and did not want to change the sets in the middle of the year, but the 1972 sets should have had them.>>

1972 was another midyear change as Philadelphia switched from Type 1 reverse to type 3 reverse. Then there were 1972 type 2 reverses from Philadelphia also for whatever reasons (accident, testing, coverup [August release]). Perhaps they had that change in mind when they held off.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>do those Blue Ike packs (UNC) have both coins (71, 71-D for example) or just a single mint coin in them?

Just curious how they were distributed, I think the blue packs were the alternate to including them in the normal mint sets. >>

The Blue Packs had one 40% silver S-mint coin in them.

I don't know why the 1971 & 1972 Mint Sets did not have cu-ni P&D Ikes in them. It could very well be that they had already begun production of the 1971 sets before the dollar began to be struck and did not want to change the sets in the middle of the year, but the 1972 sets should have had them.

TD >>

I expect that, since the US Mint had not produced a Dollar sized coin for 36 years, that they had BIG plans for marketing the Eisenhower Dollar which did not cover including it in mint sets. Imagine, $10 for a single Proof coin yet silver averaged $1.55 an ounce. Imagine, $3.00 for an Uncirculated silver coin yet silver averaged $1.55 an ounce. (This was actually a pretty good deal)
    I think they made a small fortune off the proof coins and I don't think the IKE was ever intended for a mint set. Only after the collecting community complained was it included in the 1973 sets which also caused the price of the set to nearly double.

Oh well, it is what it was.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<I don't know why the 1971 & 1972 Mint Sets did not have cu-ni P&D Ikes in them. It could very well be that they had already begun production of the 1971 sets before the dollar began to be struck and did not want to change the sets in the middle of the year, but the 1972 sets should have had them.>>

1972 was another midyear change as Philadelphia switched from Type 1 reverse to type 3 reverse. Then there were 1972 type 2 reverses from Philadelphia also for whatever reasons (accident, testing, coverup [August release]). Perhaps they had that change in mind when they held off. >>

I doubt that the marketing people had any knowledge of design changes.

The notion that they were left out to increase sales of 40% silver strikes has some merit.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

>>

The blue packs have an S mint 40% silver BU dollar inside.
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭
    so, if I wanted to get a 71,-d, 72,-d where do you actually get them?
    they're not in the mint sets and they're not in the blue packs... the "black" is the proof, right?

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's also a '74 blue pack.

Th '71 sometimes comes extremely gemmy but most of these coins are tough
    in nice lustrous grades over MS-67.

I think the mint at one time made a claim that the packaging wasn't ready to
    include Ikes in the regular mint sets but it is interesting that these would have
    served as competition for the very high riced blue packs. The '72 mintage plum-
    meted to less than a third of of the nearly 700 million mintage for 1971 so there
    wasn't a large market left to protect. The '73 mintage dropped another 15%
    with the availability of the mint set only '73-P and '73-D.
    Tempus fugit.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

The other uncs were the Philly and Denver issues which were released into commerce
    through the bnks like any other coins. These were not widely used except in gambling
    meccas but substantial numbers were set aside in rolls of twenty and bags of one thou-
    sand. Over the years many of these have been returned to the banks or otherwise dis-
    tributed or lost but they still ren't too difficult to locate in uncirculated condition.

They are however rather difficult to find in nice choice condition and this applies espec-
    ially to the Philly issue. Collectors would be well advised to seek these already graded
    rather than trying to locate attractive singles. They're quite inexpensive in MS-63 or MS-
    64 and are quite attractive relative typical raw raw examples. This same thing applies to
    the '76 type I and the '72 Ikes and to a lesser extent to the '72-D.
    Tempus fugit.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so, if I wanted to get a 71,-d, 72,-d where do you actually get them?

for its short lifespan, this series had more than its quirks and this was one of them. the 1971 and 1972 Philly and Denver coins were roll/circulation only, while the 1973 Philly and Denver coins were Mint Set only. things straightened out in 1974 and then returned to (ab)normal for the BiCentennial. i won't try to explain all the "quirks" for that two year run, it'll give me a headache!! suffice as to say nothing about the series and its distribution resembled anything typical until 1977-78 when things were ending.

<< <i>so, if I wanted to get a 71,-d, 72,-d where do you actually get them?

for its short lifespan, this series had more than its quirks and this was one of them. the 1971 and 1972 Philly and Denver coins were roll/circulation only, while the 1973 Philly and Denver coins were Mint Set only. things straightened out in 1974 and then returned to (ab)normal for the BiCentennial. i won't try to explain all the "quirks" for that two year run, it'll give me a headache!! suffice as to say nothing about the series and its distribution resembled anything typical until 1977-78 when things were ending. >>

It's a very weird series which lacks any consistencies at all. But.........it's still the last of the large dollar coins.

Too bad 77 and 78 didn't have 40% Silver versions.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << nothing about the series and its distribution resembled anything typical until 1977-78 when things were ending. >>

Even then it wasn't altogether typical. If I recall correctly, the 1977 Philly was in short supply early in the year, and for a while specimens were fetching nearly $10 on speculation that it would be a short issue.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the great information, what a perfectly wonderly goofy coin. In 2271-2 people will be clamoring for this rarity image

<< <i>Thanks for all the great information, what a perfectly wonderly goofy coin. In 2271-2 people will be clamoring for this rarity image >>

Let me think about this for a second.................

..............yer probably right.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file