Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thought these were pretty neat. Two Ebay franklin purchase

I thought these coins were pretty darn cool. I guess they toned in the holder since 1988 image

Comments

• Very nice pick up. Love the old holders. I think they are keepers.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

• << <i>Very nice pick up. Love the old holders. I think they are keepers.

Ron >>

melvin have you seen these before? Any info on these would be great. Nice conversation piece i would think image
  • Not that I remeber ever seeing this type holder before. 1988 was around the time certification came into being. I am sure someone here on the Forum will give you all the information you need on the holders. Very knowledgeable bunch that frequents this Forum. I just liked them and thought i would let you know I thought you had done well.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.

• << <i>Not that I remeber ever seeing this type holder before. 1988 was around the time certification came into being. I am sure someone here on the Forum will give you all the information you need on the holders. Very knowledgeable bunch that frequents this Forum. I just liked them and thought i would let you know I thought you had done well.

Ron >>

oh ok thanks! I figured they looked cool and glad i bid on them. I think I did well at $80 a piece, which was my winning bids on both of them. Hopefully someone who has seen these before can shed some light on these.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I think those are older custom made Capital Plastics holders

that have nothing to do with the ANACS grading

so I wonder if they were toned when put in and when they were put in
    they have slots on the side and can be easily opened with just about anything

the picture of blsck and white photo is hard to interpret
  • djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    I remember seeing these exact coins somewhere just don't remember where.
  • MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    I'm pretty sure that I saw those on Ebay. The spotting deterred me. Could have been dusted with sulpher powder. Not to piddle in your corn flakes, but just stating my first impression without being able to hold in hand. Years ago, folks used to dust their albums with sulpher powder. Depending on how well they brushed off the residual, the coins were prone to get a lot of spots. That said, it is easy to distinguish in hand. One positive aspect is that the colors are basically typical for non mint set holder and envelope colors. Hope that they pan put OK!
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never seen the ANICS holder before - makes me wonder if ANACS went after them.

I like the toning on those, I would have snapped them up myself.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

<< <i>I'm pretty sure that I saw those on Ebay. The spotting deterred me. Could have been dusted with sulpher powder. Not to piddle in your corn flakes, but just stating my first impression without being able to hold in hand. Years ago, folks used to dust their albums with sulpher powder. Depending on how well they brushed off the residual, the coins were prone to get a lot of spots. That said, it is easy to distinguish in hand. One positive aspect is that the colors are basically typical for non mint set holder and envelope colors. Hope that they pan put OK! >>

If these coins have been ATed I highly doubt sulfer powder was used at least by itself. Sulfer powder will only produce blue, gold, purple, and occasionally violet. It will rarely if ever produce green. Another thing with sulfer powder is if direct conact is made with the coins surface it will turn black ( providing its dry contact).
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife received this for Christmas from her parents back in 1988.

• << <i>My wife received this for Christmas from her parents back in 1988.
    image >>

Are you able to open it? Or is it perfectly sealed?

• << <i>I'm pretty sure that I saw those on Ebay. The spotting deterred me. Could have been dusted with sulpher powder. Not to piddle in your corn flakes, but just stating my first impression without being able to hold in hand. Years ago, folks used to dust their albums with sulpher powder. Depending on how well they brushed off the residual, the coins were prone to get a lot of spots. That said, it is easy to distinguish in hand. One positive aspect is that the colors are basically typical for non mint set holder and envelope colors. Hope that they pan put OK! >>

Oh i fully understand they are probably fooled with. Just thought they were pretty neat and they didnt cost me much so it didnt really bother me.
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It opens quite easily....much like a Whitman plastics holder would.
  • Hate to rain on the OP's parade, but those are both AT.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was watching both of them, in fact I posted about them around a week ago.

Let us know how they look in person.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

• << <i>Hate to rain on the OP's parade, but those are both AT. >>

I'm fairly aware of that, I would like to see them in hand first to see if they are the same coins that were graded originally.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the holders weren't tamper proof which probably accounts for the change in appearance.
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    wow nice find
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not notice the "Not associated with ANACS or any other grading company" until the last photo. I have never heard of ANICS who is the actual grader for these coins.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭
    According to Conder's book on Slabs ...

ANICS1 Similar to ANACS 5 but photos are smaller. To compensate for this, more of the label is folded over the front of the certificate. Background of yellow rectangles on label. Used from 1987 to 1989? (Copyright on the back is 1987 but every example seen so far have been dated 5/15/89.) The certificates are inconsistent though as to the size of the photographs. While the coin images are kept to the actual size of the coins, the area around the coins is not kept cropped to the same size so the amount of the label visible on the front varies. The certificate shown here shows the full name and address of the company on the front of the label. I have two others. One shows every thing seen here plus the bottom line of the back label, the other has everything except the phone number on the back of the label.

The text above accompanied photos from his book.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.

• << <i>

<< <i>Hate to rain on the OP's parade, but those are both AT. >>

I'm fairly aware of that, I would like to see them in hand first to see if they are the same coins that were graded originally. >>

Gottcha...please post your thoughts when you have had a chance to look at them close up.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    I think the coins are NT, but don't think they will grade out at either TPG.

I have seen holders with that black cardboard stuff tone coins very wildly before, and the coins were NT. But not market acceptable because of the wild neon toning.
    "It is what it is."
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm pretty sure that I saw those on Ebay. The spotting deterred me. Could have been dusted with sulpher powder. Not to piddle in your corn flakes, but just stating my first impression without being able to hold in hand. Years ago, folks used to dust their albums with sulpher powder. Depending on how well they brushed off the residual, the coins were prone to get a lot of spots. That said, it is easy to distinguish in hand. One positive aspect is that the colors are basically typical for non mint set holder and envelope colors. Hope that they pan put OK! >>

Oh i fully understand they are probably fooled with. Just thought they were pretty neat and they didnt cost me much so it didnt really bother me. >>

I didn't want to say anything on the theory that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. However, if you are aware the first is AT and didn't pay much of a premium for it then I say that's fine and go for it. It is an attractive AT coin and I have no problem buying the occasional AT coin if it looks nice and there isn't much of a markup. I do it myself every now and then. There was a VERY comparable coin (same 63/65 grade in same holder with very comparable toning) posted ATS in the last week or so.

• << <i>

<< <i>

Oh i fully understand they are probably fooled with. Just thought they were pretty neat and they didnt cost me much so it didnt really bother me. >>

I didn't want to say anything on the theory that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. However, if you are aware the first is AT and didn't pay much of a premium for it then I say that's fine and go for it. It is an attractive AT coin and I have no problem buying the occasional AT coin if it looks nice and there isn't much of a markup. I do it myself every now and then. There was a VERY comparable coin (same 63/65 grade in same holder with very comparable toning) posted ATS in the last week or so. >>

More power to you Sy, i have thick skin image

• << <i>...didn't pay much of a premium for it .... >>

TR paid "$80 a piece"! To me that is a HUGE premium. But I am a cheapskate according to the little missus.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website

<< <i>

<< <i>...didn't pay much of a premium for it .... >>

TR paid "$80 a piece"! To me that is a HUGE premium. But I am a cheapskate according to the little missus. >>

I didn't check out how much they cost. I take it you did Bushie. $80 a piece? Yeah, that is a HUGE premium.
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    the feller's got money to burn

• << <i>

TR paid "$80 a piece"! To me that is a HUGE premium. But I am a cheapskate according to the little missus. >>

Wouldnt really consider that expensive IMHO. But then again im comparing it to stuff in my SDB...

• << <i>the feller's got money to burn >>

wouldnt necessarily call it burning. I like buying coins no matter the denomination for fun. I already have all my heavy hitters hidden away so from here on out its merely fun image

<< <i>the feller's got money to burn >>

There is nothing wrong with spending money as long as you got it and wont miss it image
    .......hence the term , " money to burn " !

• << <i>

Seems as though posting what someone else paid for a coin is now acceptable forum etiquette.

I always thought the toned morgan crew were a bit rough on each other but you frankie lovers have taken the cake image

• << <i>Seems as though posting what someone else paid for a coin is now acceptable forum etiquette.

I always thought the toned morgan crew were a bit rough on each other but you frankie lovers have taken the cake image >>

"I think I did well at $80 a piece, which was my winning bids on both of them."

You must have somehow missed it Soty, but these are direct quotes of the OP.

"Hopefully someone who has seen these before can shed some light on these. "

Sounds like he is inviting comments on the nature of the TPG to me...

"Oh i fully understand they are probably fooled with... ...but those are both AT... I'm fairly aware of that,...

OP concedes that they are likely AT.

"Wouldnt really consider that expensive IMHO..."

So, TonedRarities paid $160 for two likely messed with coins accompanied by some obscure 4th tier grading service photo certificates, and even the "grading service" is of the opinion that the coins are less than Gem.

Clearly, the OP could use a little guidance, which many here are willing to provide.

Sorry if that seems bullying to you Soty. Really. I apologize for my honesty. I have been told that I lack tact before.

TR, if you have a return priv. on those, all is good.
    and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • That info has been removed from the OP's posts so I missed it as well as it doesn't exist now image
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>the feller's got money to burn >>

wouldnt necessarily call it burning. I like buying coins no matter the denomination for fun. I already have all my heavy hitters hidden away so from here on out its merely fun image >>

That is what coin collecting should be for all of us ...which some of us sometimes forget...well sometimes i do...but its good to be reminded every now and then. Now if i can only beat you guys first in finding the Lost Frankie Treasure Chest of yore... hidden and containing The Best Frankies somewhere in the...oops i don't even know where it is. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
    Soty,

welcome back - but if you find it too hot in the Franklin kitchen ........

......well , you know the what I'm gettin' at
  • PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to seeing some new images from the OP when he receives the coins. Its really hard to say AT or NT based on the images provided, as those colors aren't common on frankies.
    "It is what it is."

<< <i>

<< <i>

I didn't want to say anything on the theory that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. However, if you are aware the first is AT and didn't pay much of a premium for it then I say that's fine and go for it. It is an attractive AT coin and I have no problem buying the occasional AT coin if it looks nice and there isn't much of a markup. I do it myself every now and then. There was a VERY comparable coin (same 63/65 grade in same holder with very comparable toning) posted ATS in the last week or so. >>

It seems we have delved into the realm of English here. TR mentioned that the coins didn't cost him much and I mentioned that I'll buy an attractive AT coin every now and then if it has a low premium. In this case it seems that Bushie and TR are both correct as they are talking about two different things. There is a BIG difference between cost and premium. TR said the coins didn't cost him much. In the grand scheme of coin collecting $160 is indeed not much. Bushie mentioned that $80 a coin was a huge premium, given a net grade of MS64 then $80 is indeed quite a few multiples of sheet. The bottom line is that TR is happy with his coins, which is the important thing.
  • You got that right Sy!

Thanks for the synopsis.image

Like the man says : HAVE FUN WITH YOUR COINS!

and they're cold.
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Seems as though posting what someone else paid for a coin is now acceptable forum etiquette.

I always thought the toned morgan crew were a bit rough on each other but you frankie lovers have taken the cake image >>

You took some time off the forums (your own accord) and were getting into many negative discussions and you are fresh back and this is already the 2nd one I have seen you go negative on someone....some things never change, eh?
    If you read the 5th post down instead of just making assumptions by jumping on a specific poster, you would have seen where the OP stated what they cost him.

That said, if it is an online venue, then, yes, people have posted the prices before because they are readily available. You should just relax and chill out.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>Soty,

welcome back - but if you find it too hot in the Franklin kitchen ........

......well , you know the what I'm gettin' at >>

imageimage

Bushmaster,

sorry missed where the OP stated the price image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file