Home U.S. Coin Forum

How can an experienced US coin guy feel like an amateur? Go to the International!! lol

After years of assembling a US Coin collection I decided to visit the New York International yesterday...and boy did I feel like I was 12 years old again!

I entered a world of coins where I knew almost NOTHING about them. I didnt know if they were rare or common. Had the dealers told me the coin was worth 70 dollars or 7000 dollars it wouldnt faze me, because I had no clue what the coin was worth!

It reminded me of how it was like back when i started, walking through the floor at Parsippany in 1993.

Lets all remember how many people out there need help when building a collection so they dont get taken advantage of and help everyone obtain the best coins for the best prices. I just gained alot of respect for the begining collector!

Comments

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I applaud your effort.

I know you can grade a coin,,,so you are way ahead there.

I suggest you subscribe to Krause world catalogs thru numismaster to begin learning valuations.

You can also check major auction house archives for prices of world coins.

Feeling like your 12 again can be liberating and fun. Consider picking a country or denomination to focus onand apply what you know in US to world coins.

World coins are fun and there are more new collectors entering......from all over the world...!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    So was there any US coinage at the show?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Actually there was! A bit here and there was mixed in with the World stuff. And Yes AnkurJ, there were Bust Halves too, GOOD ones!

• << <i>Actually there was! A bit here and there was mixed in with the World stuff. And Yes AnkurJ, there were Bust Halves too, GOOD ones! >>

Sounds like a cool time for you to have... many great world coins... but i am somewhat lost in considering the pricing/valuation...

I am surprised to hear there were US Coins there... a dealer friend had just told me on Saturday, as he was preparing to go into NY for the show, that no US Coins were allowed to be displayed at the International. It bothered me a bit to hear that, as the last time i checked, the US was a nation... and should qualify as part of the InterNATIONAL community (contrary to some folks beliefs image )
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Actually there was! A bit here and there was mixed in with the World stuff. And Yes AnkurJ, there were Bust Halves too, GOOD ones! >>

Sounds like a cool time for you to have... many great world coins... but i am somewhat lost in considering the pricing/valuation...

I ma surprised to hear there were US Coins there... a dealer friend had just told me on Saturday, as he was preparing to go into NY for the show, that no US Coins were allowed to be displayed at the International. It bothered me a bit to hear that, as the last time i checked, the US was a nation... and should qualify as part of the InterNATIONAL community (contrary to some folks beliefs image ) >>

Its good to know that by Halfhunters account There are US coins represented in the Intl. Show! What say you guys visit us here in NY the next time this show comes around? image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    In the corner of one room was a table made up of almost all US coins! Many other dealers had them mixed in with World ones. There was a gorgeous 1794 Large Cent in NGC XF 40. (Only the price tag prevented me from getting it)
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a posted in another thread.... the unwritten rule is that no US coins before 1815 shall be displayed...... of course if you walk into the show with US coins in your briefcase they wont hang you.... LOL

I have to say I did a great business there on Sat.... the show had a very nice buzz, well run, and it certainly was a pleasure attending.....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file