Home U.S. Coin Forum

Will PCGS grade a soft struck coin MS65 or higher?

I recently purchased a pristine surface 41-S Walker, choice and original in every way. However, the obverse strike on the coin is really soft. Was wondering if PCGS would grade this coin gem with the strike as it is?
Thanks.
Bruggs

Comments

• That specific coin I dont know but they routinely grade softly struck coins 65 or greater .
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that coin could be a lock ms68 but who can tell from those pictures?
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to tell from the small image but I do not see it making MS65 that is too weak.
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    They can and do as Ive seen many 41-s WLH with not much of a hand showing getting the 65 and even 66 grades. I dont agree with that much though.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    In answer to the question posed - yes. And, while the image provided is small and difficult to decipher, I would be somewhat concerned about the coin being AU, and not just weakly struck - see the area on Liberty's upper thigh.
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Yes if it is highly lustrous! 41s is very scarce with complete full strike.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    Mark, I wanted to ask you about this when MJ posted a nice 41-S that had a weak hand that got a 66 from NGC. Shouldnt a coin have ABOVE average quality of strike and mint lustre to gain the grade of 66 as listed in the ANA grading book?
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mark, I wanted to ask you about this when MJ posted a nice 41-S that had a weak hand that got a 66 from NGC. Shouldnt a coin have ABOVE average quality of strike and mint lustre to gain the grade of 66 as listed in the ANA grading book? >>

Derek, the major TPG's don't necessarily follow the ANA grading guide, and even it has morphed over the years.

And then, there is the question as to whether the strike should be above average for that type of coin in general, or for the particular issue/date that is being assessed.image
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I have a 40-S Walker in PCGS 65 with a very mushy strike. The issue
    is notorious for those, and hence the grade doesn't get punished for it.
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't coins be graded up to MS67 (or 66?) without a complete strike? I remember reading about this somewhere.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes they will.This one is graded MS66 PCGS.

forgot to mention,this date comes with a soft strike.
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Its hard to tell from the pic
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    A Walker, especially the better dates, with a soft strike like the one in the picture will not grade higher than MS64 regardless of the cleanliness of the surfaces.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file