Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question about copper cents

GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
You guys who sort them and pull out varieties etc....what do you do with the extra copper cents? Roll em and deposit em or what?
imageimage

Comments

• TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Hoard them.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    I look for the varieties but i started to keep the the copper ones the past year

with the high price of copper recently and the low interest rates at the bank
    i guess it doesnt hurt
  • atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    I used to do that, it got boring just holding stuff that just makes the room heavier Wheats i hold and S mint post 68 i hold but thats about it. then any variety i hold too. I got about 170 in copper cents ill sell if anyone wants them before they go to the bank ;-)
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hoard them, in an old coffee can
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep about 800lbs of them in 2 gallon jugs.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Since it's illegal to melt em down, what else can you do besides hoard em and hope they allow smelting again?
    imageimage

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Since it's illegal to melt em down, what else can you do besides hoard em and hope they allow smelting again? >>

Remember(well I don't but several forum members will, I was born post silver) but silver was removed from circulation by collectors into the late 1960's. Of course it was illegal to melt for a long time - I think late 1970's. Then in 1979-80 quite a lot was indeed melted.

Frankly I am of the opinion coins should not be melted, they are already a convenient and trustworthy form of bullion. It is why I own "junk" silver because if TSHTF scenario occurs - my silver is in convenient little portions that can be spent.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file