Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is the best way to....

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
remove lint/dust from the surface of a large proof coin without leaving a trace?

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>remove lint/dust from the surface of a large proof coin without leaving a trace? >>

Compressed air or a dip in acetone should take care of any surface contamination.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>remove lint/dust from the surface of a large proof coin without leaving a trace? >>

Compressed air or a dip in acetone should take care of any surface contamination. >>

Yes, same stuff you use on your keyboard. don't hold it to close too long are it will condesate on the surface of the coin from the temperature differential between the cold air from the can and the warmer ambient temperature of the coin. Just give it a quick blast from about 8" away. PS: if holding coin by edges, hold tightly.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For dust and lint I use this "air bulb". I think I picked it up at Radio Shack.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For dust and lint I use this "air bulb". I think I picked it up at Radio Shack.
    bob

image >>

We used to have one of those for sucking snot out of the baby's nose. Make sure you don't get a hold of one of those, no telling what will blow out of it.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    I would buy a high pressure power washer....something with a diesel engine generating around 3500 psi.

It should take just about anything off the coin that you want offed.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For dust and lint I use this "air bulb". I think I picked it up at Radio Shack.
    bob

image >>

My advice as well as compressed air, even the stuff in the can for computers, often has a lubricant which can spatter your coins.

Just be SURE that the bulb is ONLY used for coins.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Compressed air
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Compressed air >>

Yep.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...bulb good. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file