Home U.S. Coin Forum

Has anybody had a problem with lost express mail?

I have been juggling the idea to start using it for high priced items?

Comments

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To US or international? If mail in US registered mail with insurance is the best. International you have to use express mail for insurance but only 5k.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is always risk.

$5,000 maximum insurance

The worst I've ha was recently 2 orders to a side trip to orlando.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing ever lost for me.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Never a problem. USPS gives you the same insurance rate as registered. that tells you how much faith they have in it. Make sure it is taped securely shut since the glue on the boxes isn't the best. For envelopes, I reinforce the edges with clear tape (tape is your cheapest form of insurance). Keep the package as routine, non-descript looking as possible. I believe I've express mailed packages to you. --jerry
  • nederveitnederveit Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Only issue I had with Express was that I had left written instructions (on the delivery slip) as well as informing the postal clerk - to leave the package (no signature). Unfortunately, they left a slip that a package awaited at the Post Office, but the slip was lost (a sticky note posted on a shared group of mailboxes in an apartment building), but eventually the intended deliveree ran to the Post Office and was able to pick it up.

I complained to the local Postmaster and got my money back.
  • never had express or registered lost. i have had 3 or 4 first class packages get lost over about 7 years of shipping coins.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Only issue I had with Express was that I had left written instructions (on the delivery slip) as well as informing the postal clerk - to leave the package (no signature). Unfortunately, they left a slip that a package awaited at the Post Office, but the slip was lost (a sticky note posted on a shared group of mailboxes in an apartment building), but eventually the intended deliveree ran to the Post Office and was able to pick it up.

I complained to the local Postmaster and got my money back. >>

The reason for the inclusion of a space on the mailing label to provide the addressee's telephone number is because the fee paid for Express Mail is supposed to afford the service by the delivering local branch of the addressee to call that number and possibly leave a message in the case where the item cannot be left at the delivery address. I've had shippers indicate the phone number for my employer in the case where I know I won't be present to accept the package at my residence or P.O. Box.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• For high value items under 5k - it goes hand to hand/scan to scan and gets there the next day, is there any other way?
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Registered is another way, insurance up to 25000--------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • not yet
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If express does get lost you will know much sooner than with other methods. Price includes an on-line signature confirmation that satisfies paypal requirement, no need to purchase signature confirmation separately. Limited to 5K insurance. Can get expensive as weight goes up, only one express flat rate option and that's the 8X11 cardboard envelope. Registered is a bit cheaper, up to 25K insurance, ultimate security, but slower, 5-14 days.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Short answer - no.

However, I had to quit using USPS because in my case they were not really delivering the package. For $18 they should deliver the @#$% package. They drop it at lock boxes or mailrooms somewhere else. I've had clients call on Tuesday, asking where my delivery is, when USPS Express "delivered' it Friday. I assume they do a great job delivering to residential addresses, but not with the commercial ones I deal with weekly. I would have never in a million years used USPS Express to get info to FideliTrade last week.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Short answer - no.

However, I had to quit using USPS because in my case they were not really delivering the package. For $18 they should deliver the @#$% package. They drop it at lock boxes or mailrooms somewhere else. I've had clients call on Tuesday, asking where my delivery is, when USPS Express "delivered' it Friday. I assume they do a great job delivering to residential addresses, but not with the commercial ones I deal with weekly. I would have never in a million years used USPS Express to get info to FideliTrade last week. >>

Mine always get to the address I put on the shipment. image

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a registered from Lyn Knight recently that came a day early and the flipping clerk refused to give it to me, despite the fact I had a printed page with the tracking right into the post office - she sheepishly trundeled off to get it when I asked her "So you only want to meet expectations and deliver it a day later, instead of beating expectations and handing it to me?" The rest of the clerks there know me and trust that I know that stuff is there when I say it is.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Have shipped thousands of packages via express mail with contents up to 6 figures and have never lost one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file