Home U.S. Coin Forum

Opinions on this 1914-D Lincoln

lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
This '14-D cent is raw. It is part of a collection left by a friend's father who died recently at 80. I found it among 5,000 wheaties. (I also found an S-VDB, a 1909-S, 1922-D, and 1931-S, all in roughly the same condition. None of his collection is graded by a TPG.)

Do you think it's genuine? I'm okay with the location of the mintmark and the spacing of the date numbers. And the D looks squarish and angled inside. But I'm still suspicious. I think it might be added. Seems to be canted a bit.

Looks like this coin was struck from well used dies and maybe that's confusing me.

The faint line from rim at 3K to rim at 7K is much less noticeable in hand. The lighting exaggerates it. It's hard to say, because it is very faint, but I initially guessed it was raised and from a die crack. Not so sure anymore. Could be an old scratch?

I was really excited about this for a while. But I'm talking myself out of it.

If you think it's real what grade would you give it?

Eventually PCGS will get this coin, along with the other finds. But not until I'm through (and I have six or eight Whitmans to go through and many hundreds of coins in flips).

Thanks for the help.
Lance.

imageimage

Comments

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess XF40 ish, and yes its genuine.
    Dwayne Sessom
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...some interesting info here lance image >>

I never felt that you could create a thread on the diagnostics between a real and fake coin based on one fake. There are so many different ones that it's would be impossible to group them all.

Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think it's a real 1914D
  • added D
    dont send sheep to kill a wolf...
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The D doesn't look right to me.
    There is alot going on with that coin though.

Thanks for posting it.
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I vote fake
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    Fake.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • The reverse also looks like it may have been cleaned.
  • anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    That is a worn die. And a larger D than I usually see on a 1914.
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, not diggin on it
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    Send it in and find out. There are some LDS diemarkers on both sides of that coin that should help determine whether it it genuine or not. I'm no Lincoln cent expert, but it looks to me to have a good chance of bing the real McCoy.
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not genuine
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tooled
    Many happy BST transactions
  • coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    The D is too big. Added MM.

-Paul
  • Of the 5 I have they all exhibit a die crack near the third fold of Lincoln’s shirt where it meets the over coat connecting it to the rim.

the mm isn't like any I have seen for that year
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭
    That doesn't even look like a real cent, but who knows.
  • the mintmark looks off to me but i`m no expert. the pics i`m posting are small but this one graded at pcgs. your mintmark looks bigger and slightly to the right compared to this one below.

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were 6 die pairs used to make the 1914-D, and this is one of the authentic ones. It is identical to the one below.

Dwayne Sessom
  • The MM is wrong, in the wrong position and the die marker, the die crack from rim to bust is not there. Fake
  • dsessom, your picture and the OP coin is not the same die. Follow the right and left of the D up tot the didgits, not even close.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    It does look questionable but from the pics it's hard to be sure.

A few things to try:
    A better pic of the MM would help.
    There are several MM positions so you might need to compare it to many photos to see if any match.
    Look close for the die crack on the vest heading to the rim. (many 14-Ds have it but some don't)
    Look close for any sign of the VDB or sign that it was removed. (14-Ds don't have it)

Ed
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    The whole coin is fake, country of origin-I say Italy, around 1980----------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I don't like this one, not one bit.

If real, I'd grade it F details but excessive damage would keep it out of a graded holder.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like an added mintmark. Put a drop of acetone on it to see if it desolves the glue and it falls off.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• It looks good to me. If it is "added," it was "taken" from another 1914-D. The inside of the D has the traditional triangular shape.

FWIW, there's die wear and grease coming across on the reverse, and I could easy give that a middle-of-the road AU. Nice coin.
  • au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    What does this coin weigh?
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There were 6 die pairs used to make the 1914-D, and this is one of the authentic ones. It is identical to the one below.

image >>

Here's the one in question.
    Lance.

<< <i>What does this coin weigh? >>

3.00g. It's consistent with other wheaties in its state.
    Lance.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That wear pattern seems off to me. Letters are just too mushy. MM is rounded.
    All tells for a fake.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't buy that with Bear's money Lance.

edited to add - And I am usually pretty liberal with Bear's money
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That piece was never inside a US Mint.

everything looks wrong. everything.

<< <i>I wouldn't buy that with Bear's money Lance.

edited to add - And I am usually pretty liberal with Bear's money
    image >>

Ha. Me neither. I am not considering buying it. As I said in the OP I found this and others in a hoard.
    Lance.
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The serifs are way too prominent and the minmark should be more upright.

Good looking coin but I will go with.............

fake.image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Dwayne,
    Look at this image. I have overlaid your photo on the suspect coin.
    There are some unusual marks around the "9" and there appears to be some doubling above the 'D".

What do you think??

KP

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n630/6woamc/14-D.jpg
  • ^^^^^^^

• The entire coin is fake.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote for early not so faithful "tribute" piece.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file