Home U.S. Coin Forum

Aug B Sage's Historical Tokens - Were these a series?

tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
I have one that says #3 Faneuil Hall Boston Mass. About the size of a half dollar.

Comments

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're right that Sage had a series of these. His Historical Token series was made by George Hampden Lovett, who's initials can be seen on the obverse. Exonumia.com has some info:

Number 1: NY Sage/Lovett's Old Provost Prison Medal. "The Old Provost, N. Y." around building / Chain around "A British Prison During the Revolution" and small letters "Aug. B. Sage's Historical Tokens No. 1" By G. H. Lovett. 30 mm, copper. Brown AU. $50.00-75.00+

Number 7: VA Sage/Lovett: Rare Washington's Home Medal. "The Home of Washington Mount Vernon" around Washington's home / Border of stars around "The Women of America Noble Preserves of Our Father's Home" and in small letters, "Aug. B. Sage's Historical Tokens No. 7" By G. H. Lovett. Garrett-1781, Baker-114G in Rulau-Fuld, page 108, where noted as "Rare" 30 mm, copper with olive toning. Toned AU+. $100.00-150.00+

Number 9: NY Sage/Lovett: Richmond Hill House Medal. "Richmond Hill House, N. Y. Erected 1760" around house / Wreath around "Washington's Head Quarters May, 1776" and in small letters "Aug. B. Sage's Historical Tokens No. 9" By G. H. Lovett. This does not seem to be listed by Baker, and it is noted on page 108 of Rulau-Fuld that Lovett muled many of his dies to create extra varieties. 30 mm, copper, iridescent obverse. Toned AU+. $50.00-75.00+

imageimage

Looks like a fun series to collect.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A dozen or more of high grade numbered 1859 Sage's just crossed EBay last week.

Check the exonumia completed sales for more info.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking as well it would be a cool series to collect but I did a search on ebay and came up with nothing. I picked this one up at the flea market a while back.
    thanks broadstruck - I just checked active ones.
    Good call Broadstruck. There seems to be some interest from the eBay bidding activity.

Here's a working list:

Aug. B. Sage Historical Tokens

#1 The Old Provoost, N.Y.
    #2 City Hall, Wall St. N.Y.
    #3 Faneuil Hall, Boston Mass.
    #7 The Home of Washington
    #9 Richmond Hill House, N.Y.
    Look up the completed sales for EBay'R "wings4" as he sold 11 RB Sage's last week.

4 more up this week

<< <i>Look up the completed sales for EBay'R "wings4" as he sold 11 RB Sage's last week. >>

Nice. I was just looking over some of his auctions while doing a search for Lovett. I didn't make the connection when looking at the Sage pieces until you mentioned him.
    Follow up question. Why are there different images for the same token. I see multiple Sage tokens No 1 and 9s so far.
    There are several different Sage series. Look at the bottom of the reverse to find out which series the piece is a part of:

* Historical Tokens
    * Masonic Medalets
    * Odds & Ends

Also, on eBay right now, the same issue is shown with both the obverse and the reverse in the listings.

<< <i>Follow up question. Why are there different images for the same token. I see multiple Sage tokens No 1 and 9s so far. >>

Sage must have issued different series.
    Thanks Zoins and Broadstruck
    Going to keep my eye open for these. I like them
    They are neat. Good luck on your set image
  • Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget his Numismatic Gallery series.

The best reference for Sage pieces is QDB's American Numismatics before the Civil War, which catalogs all of them, including off metal strikes, mulings, and numbering variations.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
    Thanks for the QDB reference Aegis3. Sage is even mentioned in the full title of the book: American Numismatics before the Civil War, 1760-1860: Emphasizing the Story of Augustus B. Sage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file