Home U.S. Coin Forum

Did PCGS announce anything at FUN?

I thought there was going to be some sort of Security announcement, like the Big One. Anything?

Comments

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought so too. HRH said they would video tape it. I missed the Friday 11am adventure because I was checking out something else and since I was sure to read about it on here and watch the video later online.

Maybe someone will chime in soon....or maybe it is just the raising of fees?
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • I didn't hear anything from PCGS, but I heard that NGC announced a new policy. They will only do crossover grading for coins in PCGS holders. If you submit a coin in an ANACS or ICG or other TPG holder, they will CRACK OUT THE COIN and treat it like a raw submission! Yikes!
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if I recall the details correctly, here you go:

1. As a reminder, the coin sniffer detects organic substances on coins.
    2. PCGS introduced "The Ray Gun" that detects inorganic substances on coins. The fifty-thousand dollar device looks like the first-generation phaser from the "Star Trek" series, or a small version of a radar gun, or maybe a price gun.
    3. The presentation given by PCGS at FUN will be their LAST presentation given on the specifics of the security technology they are using or planning to use to protect the hobby from coin doctors.
    4. The next edition of their "Million Dollar Coin Club" will be out soon.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I didn't hear anything from PCGS, but I heard that NGC announced a new policy. They will only do crossover grading for coins in PCGS holders. If you submit a coin in an ANACS or ICG or other TPG holder, they will CRACK OUT THE COIN and treat it like a raw submission! Yikes! >>

That was announced last week.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>if I recall the details correctly, here you go:

1. As a reminder, the coin sniffer detects organic substances on coins.
    2. PCGS introduced "The Ray Gun" that detects inorganic substances on coins. The fifty-thousand dollar device looks like the first-generation phaser from the "Star Trek" series, or a small version of a radar gun, or maybe a price gun.
    3. The presentation given by PCGS at FUN will be their LAST presentation given on the specifics of the security technology they are using or planning to use to protect the hobby from coin doctors.
    4. The next edition of their "Million Dollar Coin Club" will be out soon. >>

Willis seemed most emphatic about #3, He said that this would be the last presentation given on the specifics, almost with a touch of disdain. At least that's how I perceived it, others who were there may disagree with me.

Edited for clarity.
  • dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    So is this "Ray Gun" for their use only or are they going to sell it?

Why is announcing what they are doing for security or announcing it treated with disdain?

• << <i>So is this "Ray Gun" for their use only or are they going to sell it?

Why is announcing what they are doing for security or announcing it treated with disdain? >>

Take a wild guess.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So is this "Ray Gun" for their use only or are they going to sell it?

Why is announcing what they are doing for security or announcing it treated with disdain? >>

Take a wild guess. >>

What exactly does this mean...it's getting strung way out there now. A wisp that is getting harder to follow.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I didn't hear anything from PCGS, but I heard that NGC announced a new policy. They will only do crossover grading for coins in PCGS holders. If you submit a coin in an ANACS or ICG or other TPG holder, they will CRACK OUT THE COIN and treat it like a raw submission! Yikes! >>

That was announced last week. >>

Ditto, thankfully I was able to Express some last minute crossovers in before the deadline.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    thats great they are protecting themselves from accidently slabbing a coin that has been doctored

did they mention anything about us collectors about accidentally buying what looks like
    a PCGS slab with a valuable coin only to find out after paying them for a regrade that
    it is not really their slab and the coin has dubious value?
  • They didn't announce anything worthy of repeating. Just sales pitch stuff.
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So is this "Ray Gun" for their use only or are they going to sell it? >>

This has to be my favorite question ever asked on the forum.
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

This has to be my favorite question ever asked on the forum. >>

Ray gun for coins? Does it look something like this? imageimage
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

If they give SM1 a Ray Gun the world would be a much safer place. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ray gun for coins? Does it look something like this? imageimage
    image >>

Now THAT's a MODULATOR!!!!!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A very minor announcement made to only a privileged few. I very clearly no longer know how to grade.

When is someone going to prescribe me a doobie emoticon?

Which may explain why I clearly no longer know how to grade.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • my memory serve's me to the fact that there would be some "BIG" news divulged @ the FUN show , and that those that could not attend should watch for the announcements on the PCGS site ..........

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file