Home U.S. Coin Forum

Should PCGS have economy pricing for their Mint Errors

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
Should PCGS have economy pricing for "simple" errors and/or low value error coins that are easy to identify? Should PCGS have bulk pricing on error coin submissions? There are many types of error coins that have a low value and to spend $50 + to certify them makes absolutely no sense. I mean, you can buy a really nice off center error coin for less than 10 dollars, but why would you ever certify that coin with PCGS for $50+. I have bought many PCGS Error Coins for less than $20, which means that someone took a $30 bath on the plastic Plus the cost of the coin.

I know the errors go thru Fred W. which costs PCGS extra for his expertise. My question is, do ALL errors go thru Fred? Or can someone like ME identify the simple errors ie ( off center, broadstruck, clips, even errors like nickels struck on cent planchets, etc.), and not go thru Fred and have a much lower pricing. I would be willing to go to work for PCGS once a week or more (I live in San Diego) and I bet I could identify over 90% of all errors submitted and leave the big ones, questionable ones, or expensive ones for Fred. I think this would also help in turn around time.

I would also like to see bulk pricing on large submissions of error coins. It would it also be nice if you could get a discount if everyone of the error descriptions are 100% percent accurate on your submission form which would mean less work for PCGS.

I have over 100 certified PCGS error coins that I have bought from other people as I have never sent in a coin for grading. I do like the PCGS Mint Error Slabs. I would like to send out error coins to be certified, but I have over 500 raw error coins and 500 x 50 is $25,000 which will never happen.

Your thoughts on the matter?

Comments

I have never understood why they avoid this market (by pricing it so high)

Very Frustrating!
  • goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭✭
    They used to have a more economical price tier a few years ago (25 dollars or so) but it has since been discontinued.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They used to have a more economical price tier a few years ago (25 dollars or so) but it has since been discontinued. >>

Bring it back and Hire me image
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    I've always felt that the Error Coin grading fee's were much too high and would prefer that Error's be sent in at the Regular submission fee's at the very minimum.

$50 is just over the top for simple things such as clips, off-center strikes and broad strikes.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Thats why i don't send any to pcgs,because the price is way to high
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but I can understand some of the higher price because there are fewer error experts.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    I've got about 100 I need to do and only 2 or 3 warrant a $50 fee.
    Guess it will be ANACS for $10. Hate to do that too though because I don't care for the new yellow holders and I already have errors in 4 different sized company's holders right now and I don't need a new holder size to deal with.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

<< <i>image

I have never understood why they avoid this market (by pricing it so high)

Very Frustrating! >>

Yes it does seem that PCGS is leaving quite a bit of money on the table by not going after this part of the market.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FredWeinberg jumps into almost every single error thread on these boards and gives his valued opinion for FREE...

It's NOT effing cool posting a thread trying to cut into his livelihood just to save a few bucks! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>FredWeinberg jumps into almost every single error thread on these boards and gives his valued opinion for FREE...

It's NOT effing cool posting a thread trying to cut into his livelihood just to save a few bucks! image >>

Broadstruck, while I agree! Fred is always more than helpful, I don't think that the OP is or was trying to offend Mr.Weinberg. I don't think his intent is to cut into his livelyhood. PCGS should be able to grade and encapsulate errors without the help of an expert except for unique errors. The more common ones shouldn't be that difficult to do.

Tom
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

<< <i>FredWeinberg jumps into almost every single error thread on these boards and gives his valued opinion for FREE...

It's NOT effing cool posting a thread trying to cut into his livelihood just to save a few bucks! image >>

You got my point completely wrong about cutting into Fred's lively hood which would never happen anyway. I am sure Fred is very busy and has more than enough work to do. I could not possibly hurt his livelihood not do I want to.

All I was asking why can't PCGS have better pricing on Mint Errors.

I have been self employed for over 25 years and am probably not employable anyway, but I just wanted to say that someone like me or you could handle the easier errors. I seriously doubt this would harm Fred in anyway which was NEVER my intention.

Never hurts to Ask tho.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file