Home U.S. Coin Forum

Advice needed on selling Canadian coin

I am sure that I should have posted in the world forum, but I didn't see much about Canadian coins over there. So, I figured I would try here.
I purchased one Canadian gold coin actually as a Christmas present for my wife a few years back. I know, please hold your comments on how bad of a gift idea that was.
Well, needless to say, it has been sitting in our safe deposit box and now I am going to sell it and buy her something else.
Where is the best place to list these and where would I even try to go to find an estimated value?

Here are some pictures. You have to admit they sure do now how to strike an awesome deep cameo.
Jay

Yes, those are crystals on the coin. Got to love Canada!

Comments

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gold content is 26.2 grams pure gold

this equals 0.84 ounces of gold.

I'm not sure if these sell for a premium over bullion.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • I guess that is my question also. Is there a market for these or is it just the gold and silver content?
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were issued at a higher price than gold coins without the crystals.

Whether or not you get that added premium when you sell is the question.

Because of the higher price of gold currently as compared to 2006, I doubt you will get anything more.

Hopefully, for your sake, I'm mistaken.

Perhaps someone else can help out.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Is that the gold coin with Swarovski crystal? If so, the coins with Swarovski crystals (particularly gold) bring a premium for the crystals, as well as a premium for the coin itself (not a hefty premium). They truly are beautiful pieces with the Swarovski in them.

edited to add.....only 1,000 were made, and Talisman has the 2010 for sale at $2,199 (normal price $2,499) here, and I dont think it looks as nice, though there is a mintage limit of 750 on the 2010, but depending on when you bought.....

A quick check shows the Swarovski $20 Silver Maple Leaf, on Amazon, at $169 (with just a single crystal), and a 2010 $20 Silver Snowflake coin, 1 oz, at $115......perhaps a call to J&M Coins (I think it's J&M that specializes in Canadian coins), or to Talisman to get at least a start on where/what/who, etc...but I am not knowledgeable in Canadian coinage, though I did take a liking to those Swarovski crystal coins...the blue crystals in the $20 Silver Snowflake are pretty cool.
    I'll come up with something.
  • Yes, that is really why I purchased it for her. She loves their crystal jewelry and other items, but I think she thought this was more for me than her.
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, that is really why I purchased it for her. She loves their crystal jewelry and other items, but I think she thought this was more for me than her. >>

Unfortunately, that is not quite the kind of coin you should put in a bezel for wearing as a piece of jewelry.
    I'll come up with something.
  • I really thought she would display it at Christmas. We have their entire snowflake collection.
    Oh well, the best intentions sometime fail.
    So, now I try to sell and move on. I have no other Canadian coins and the crystal makes it a little more unusual or harder to move I would guess.
  • Great link! Thank you. That gives me a good idea of what it is worth.
    Jay
  • dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭
    Try the BST on the Darkside forums.
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spot! (+ a tiny bit) image
  • Good advice as always. I am going to put it on the BST and ask for offers and see what I get if anything.

Have to admit it is a looker.
  • lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Precious metal forum ..someone is always selling foreign gold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file