Home U.S. Coin Forum

Wikileaks and Sunken Treasure

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
TAMPA, FL (AP).- Deep-sea explorers in Florida are using some of the trove of recently leased WikiLeaks documents to try to force the U.S. government out of their legal battle with Spain over a shipwreck treasure.

Odyssey Marine Exploration of Tampa says documents released by Wikileaks show the U.S. State Department had offered to help Spain's side in the matter in exchange for help in returning a multimillion-dollar painting seized by World War II-era Nazis to a U.S. citizen.

Odyssey said Wednesday it filed a motion urging an appeals court to throw out a "friend of the court" brief by the U.S. government supporting Spain's bid for 17 tons of coins raised from a sunken Spanish galleon off Portugal in 2007.

A federal court ruled for Spain in 2009. Odyssey is appealing.

The State Department had no immediate comment when contacted Wednesday by The Associated Press.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting Andy. -- Thanks for sharing.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Wow I literally just finished watching a show on that find
  • edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    I'm all about the wikileaks. Free Julian Assange!
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm all about the wikileaks. Free Julian Assange! >>

Really and put more innocent GI's in danger. Secrets were made for a reason, most people don't really need to know the truth.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it hard to believe that the U.S. State Department would act on behalf of Joe SixPack to recover a piece of art just because he is a U.S. citizen. Maybe Joe SixPack has pulled a few political puppet strings or thrown some heavy coin around in D.C. ????

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I find it hard to believe that the U.S. State Department would act on behalf of Joe SixPack to recover a piece of art just because he is a U.S. citizen. Maybe Joe SixPack has pulled a few political puppet strings or thrown some heavy coin around in D.C. ???? >>

I agree with you. It would be my guess that Joe Sixpack was a J.P. Morgan, Rockefeller or Warren Buffett type whom invested a lot of money in the country and created a lot of money for the country. No way they would have done that for you or I.

Andy thanks for sharing this, very interesting information coming from wikileaks.
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm all about giving our enemies the upper hand in order to sell copies of the Guardian. Hang Julian Assange! >>

Fixed that for ya
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    This is a us coin forum, I don't believe this post belongs here.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    SwanGate
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Neat Story! Thanks for posting!

Yea if people want to argue about politics they should create a free for all forum.

Another board I was on had this problem and what they did was create a politics forum for people to argue. If you posted anything in the technical forums that was not techincal/political/trolling you got a warning and a 24 hour ban. If you kept it up you got kicked for good. The admins were pretty fascist about it and it stopped the nonsense.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file