Home U.S. Coin Forum

Value question re: 1959-D 5c ms66 Full Steps...

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
The 1959-d ms66 FS 5c in the PCGS price guide has a very high value.

Heritage auction has two results of a PCGS 1959-D ms66 FS Jeff selling for about $1600.

There's one auction result for an NGC same grade for about $400.

These are the only three results.

Is the price disparity a result of the difference of the two grading companies quality standards, or is it because perhaps this particular NGC coin was overgraded and therefore did not realize the 'normal' price at auction?

The reason I'm asking is I have an NGC 5c 1959-d ms66 FS and I have no idea what value to give it.
"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• In my opinion NGC Jefferson grades are generally 1 point higher than PCGS. I'm guessing this is what accounts for the price difference. Can you post pictures?
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Once again, it's that danged FS designation. The label may say so, but if the designation is questionable or falls into a gray area, nobody in their right mind would pay that much for a graded example. It's going to have to have everything going for it, not just a numerical grade w/designation, it's going to have to have a strong strike, dripping with luster and eye appeal that is off the charts. The WOW factor.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I think it could be a difference in both NGC being near 1 point higher
    and occasionally having the FS designation on a coin with a strong mark across the steps that would not make PCGS FS

so that NGC could cross at PCGS MS65

which is not worth $400

but once again it depends on the coin, rather than the holder

be careful buying NGC or ANACS if you want the coin in PCGS

got any pics of your coin?
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    For a $1200 difference I would try crossing it once at 66FS.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file