Home U.S. Coin Forum

Upgrading my Ikes to PCGS Slabs...what should I do with Toners?

I put together a raw set of Ikes (including silver) years ago and housed them in an old Whitman Bookshelf album. I recently decided to upgrade to PCGS slabs (all in 63/64 to save some money). Many of the Ikes I had in the old album toned, some turned out pretty attractive. My question is, should I hang on to the toners or does toning not really add any value to Ikes?

By the way, I am not going to sell them, otherwise, this would be on the BST. I thought about dipping them and setting them aside for when my sons start losing their baby teeth.
Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019

Comments

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are not going to sell them then what is the question, again?

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    By all means, hang on to the toners and get them graded if possible as they would most certainly have more of a premium than the standard copper nickel clad coins.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Rob,
    Compare them carefully to the graded Ikes you have and are aquiring. As you know ;-) low grade Ikes do not cost a lot, and are a losing proposition for grading fees.

Unless you think they are high grade (search of e-bay sales will key you in on the level needed for each coin - usually MS65 or MS66/PR69DCAM) the grading fees are a waste. I would let them ride in the album.

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I think this is an interesting short series to complete- even with a handful of varieties-I have my doubts about appreciation and collector interest in them.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oops- didn't answer the question

I would keep them because of the look

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pfft! Dip those toners. Nobody likes tarnished silver...

Just kidding! Do you have any pics of them? image
    Dwayne Sessom
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    If you're anywhere near Tampa, I would suggest you have them inspected in-hand by James Sego (JMS coin, IIRC). He would be the best eye and knowledge of the Ike market (and value of toners in this series). He's also a member here, so you might PM him -- segoja.

Obviously, the answer for your coin depends on the coin and the toning and the grade. However, my sense is that business struck Ike toners don't sell for a very large premium. For instance in Top Pop-1 (i.e. if top pop is 67, then we're talking about 66's), the toning premium is 20%ish.

I would NOT dip them.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rob,
    Compare them carefully to the graded Ikes you have and are aquiring. As you know ;-) low grade Ikes do not cost a lot, and are a losing proposition for grading fees.

Unless you think they are high grade (search of e-bay sales will key you in on the level needed for each coin - usually MS65 or MS66/PR69DCAM) the grading fees are a waste. I would let them ride in the album. >>

Great advice. Not every coin is worth the cost of slabbing.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers. I don't intend to sell them. I am buying slabbed Ikes as money permits, but I still have the original set. I was going to use them for tooth fairy coins when my boys start to lose their teeth but if toned Ikes are worth hanging onto, I'll just hand on to them and just start accumulating Ikes for the tooth fairy elsewhere.
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file