Home U.S. Coin Forum

Photo Critique please

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
I think I have this down for the most part. Some coins I have issues with. Its ALL about the lighting.

Thoughts? Be brutal if you must! image

Thanks!
Ankur
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The photos looks a bit dark, and I think a shift in the lighting angle would help, especially on the dollar which I would think has a lot of room to show more lustre. My biggest critique, though, is the use of the NGC label. While I'm not a real fan of showing the label like that in general, I would look for a much cleaner crop, even if it means a separate digital insertion of a green bean.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Only the top half of the gold coin showed up.

Other than that, I think you images are outstanding. I certainly can get a great feel for how the coins look. Being able to see subtl flaws on the coins like the faint fingerprint on the Morgan are good indicators that the images are "authentic" - when an image shows no flaws, that's when there's a problem.
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Ok, the whole third image showed up.

If I had to give you some criticism, I would say make your images a wee bit larger...assume that every one is using at least a 15 inch screen and try to use that up.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About the only critique I would have is to even the horizontal spacing of the format. Wide black spaces at the outer edges serve little purpose IMO.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    These are well sized down by tinypic. I try not to post huge pics here, as they can take up more than the entire screen. They are over 7 megapixels each. Here is the full size of the Morgan:

PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • JeshJesh Posts: 277
    Morgan Obverse is very good.

Gold seems a little dark.

Unless the 1c strike is weak on obv. 11 o'clock it is good but is that true color?
  • FrozeninkFrozenink Posts: 446 ✭✭

<< <i> My biggest critique, though, is the use of the NGC label. While I'm not a real fan of showing the label like that in general, I would look for a much cleaner crop, even if it means a separate digital insertion of a green bean. >>

+1

Gary
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice morgan pic.

The cent is a little washed out. That could be corrected in post-processing.

The gold is a little dark. (tilted in the slab?? The bottom portions are kinda fuzzy)
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would bump up the contrast just a little.
    I think I overdid the lights on the cent trying to get the color and luster. The gold quarter must be tilted as the rest is in focus.

How do you increase contrast? The gold was shot with diffused light.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20

<< <i>How do you increase contrast? . >>

In photoshop it's easy, just go to Brightness / Contrast.

I am sure all the cheap photo editing software programs also has a contrast control as it is a very basic function in photography.
    Will give it a shot. I thought it was something to do with lighting.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20

<< <i>Will give it a shot. I thought it was something to do with lighting. >>

Oh it is ALL ABOUT the Lighting which is the most important aspect of photography.

But a little bump in contrast will help out what you have already shot, IMO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file