Home U.S. Coin Forum

Guess the grade of this Flowing Hair Half dollar! GRADE POSTED ON PG 2!

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
She is in a problem free PCGS OGH. Thoughts?

AJ
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• curlycurly Posts: 2,880

I'll say Very Fine. I like it a lot!

VF35

edited to add numerical grade.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    This is a great opportunity to show how images can give you enough info to grade coins. Please, take the first 10 grades proposed by this forum, drop the highest and lowest, then average them together, tell us what that average is and then what pcgs graded the coin. (I'm tempted to say "then tell us what PCGS should have graded the coin.)

I grade it a 20. (I think it might be a 25 but I think they probably knocked it down 5 points from at 25 to a 20 because of the adjustment marks....)

So, please let at least 10 folks give their guess before you reveal the grade that PCGS has given it.
    And if everyone could give a numerical grade, that would be good.
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    f15
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF35 I think they are a little more forgiving to the old ladies.
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    A nice example of an O-116 , I believe. I'll give it a weak VF-20.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    The photos are scans, but I assume you already knew that. I grade it as a VF20, but it looks to have the shine of being cleaned. The adjustment marks on the obverse are going to hurt when reselling it.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    20. The adjustment marks in that location hurts the eye appeal.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The photos are scans, but I assume you already knew that. I grade it as a VF20, but it looks to have the shine of being cleaned. The adjustment marks on the obverse are going to hurt when reselling it.

-Paul >>

The surfaces look original to me. Will post pics when she arrives.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20

If it was ever cleaned then it was gentle cleaning many years ago. Also adjustment marks and a weak strike were part of the coining process back then and although it may affect the price, it shouldn't affect the grade.

I remember when Anaconda had a proof IHC some years ago that had some monster die cracks or die scratches on it. I can't remember the the date but it was Photo Sealed. I believe it was a 65.

<< <i>

<< <i>The photos are scans, but I assume you already knew that. I grade it as a VF20, but it looks to have the shine of being cleaned. The adjustment marks on the obverse are going to hurt when reselling it.

-Paul >>

The surfaces look original to me. Will post pics when she arrives. >>

Blue/purple coloring is rarely original on circulated silver.

-Paul
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing vf25. Nice piece of history.
    Paul
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, the marks that form a small cross (+) behind her head, and the ones that form a slanted (X) on her head, are adjustment marks?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    I realize it's a rare and desirable coin; but those obverse adjustment marks really turn me off. image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    F-12 Who cares, I want it whatever it is.

I think the horizontal mark behind the head is a small ding. I can't speak for the slanted marks but the vertical lines definately look like adjustment marks.
  • I guess F15. And it really is a guess...

imageimage
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go with a 20 also,
    Nice coin.
    Not sure it would get into a problem free holder today if sent in raw though.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
    Here is one with adjustment marks. A tougher variety so that probably helped.

PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    I say 25. Perhaps shot 30. I don't mind the adjustment marks.
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    It should be in a VF-25 holder, but I am going to guess that it is either in a F-15 holder or
    a VF-20 holder.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neutral to negative eye appeal and I would not be surprised to find out it had been lightened somewhat at some point.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Here are the guesses so far:

F12: 1
    F15: 2
    VF20: 6
    VF25: 3
    VF30: 1
    VF35: 2

So as per Anaconda, take away the highest and lowest. With that the grade averages out to......22.3. So lets say VF20.
    Here is the grade. The reason I bought it is because it looks undergraded to me, and it was priced at F12 money. Again, will see how it is in hand.

Ankur
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    The funny part about this GTG is if you look on Coinfacts
    in the 1795 Half Dollar section they have 44 coins shown
    in a range of grades. In grades VF-35 to F-12 there are
    21 examples and you can find a coin in similar condition to
    the OP's coin in nearly all of the grades from VF-35 to F-12.

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
    So, what is the grade predicted when averaging the first ten grades and dropping the highest and lowest grades...?
    Sorry...you have already done the math...and it looks like my prognostication was not too far off....
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    What would the guesses be like without the marks? I think she looks VF30 but ding her down to VF20 because of the marks. Either way it appears a deal at F12 money.
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would buy all those for F12 money.Lotta meat for a 12.

<< <i>I would buy all those for F12 money.Lotta meat for a 12. >>

Agreed! Here is a Fine 12 that just sold on heritage. Difference in detail is amazing!

1795 PCGS Fine 12
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Silent net grade, IMO, Ankur.

Nice coin, BTW.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet half, Ankur. Love the reverse. I'm having a hard time with the obverse but I understand how easy it might be to enjoy. Especially at F12 money! Congrats.
    Lance.
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I see an old classic that appears under-graded, the first thing I think of is why? Some might feel it's because of the "OGH" not the case with me.
    I don't care what holder if any it's in. The adjustment marks don't bother me as much as the surfaces do going by the image. I don't care for the color I see. So, I would say silently net graded for being boinked with in some way. So you probably paid what it might be worth.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

<< <i>When I see an old classic that appears under-graded, the first thing I think of is why? Some might feel it's because of the "OGH" not the case with me.
    I don't care what holder if any it's in. The adjustment marks don't bother me as much as the surfaces do going by the image. I don't care for the color I see. So, I would say silently net graded for being boinked with in some way. So you probably paid what it might be worth. >>

As commoncents posted, the image is a scan. The light from scanners can make images appear quite off. Hopefully that is not the case. Will see how she looks in hand. If it was net graded, thats a pretty big grade drop.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When I see an old classic that appears under-graded, the first thing I think of is why? Some might feel it's because of the "OGH" not the case with me.
    I don't care what holder if any it's in. The adjustment marks don't bother me as much as the surfaces do going by the image. I don't care for the color I see. So, I would say silently net graded for being boinked with in some way. So you probably paid what it might be worth. >>

As commoncents posted, the image is a scan. The light from scanners can make images appear quite off. Hopefully that is not the case. Will see how she looks in hand. If it was net graded, thats a pretty big grade drop. >>

I'm very familiar with using and reading a scan. In fact, I'm one of the very few that still uses one. I can only go by the image I see. Sometimes a scan is a good tool as it can be more true than a fancy tweaked photograph. I can't help it, when I see that blue/purple on old circulated silver it don't look right to me. I returned a 1801 Draped half with this same look. It also, was "undergraded" but in reality it was net graded down. Hope you are pleased when you get it.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
    I remember times in the past when folks "in the know" said that some of the grading services were grading coins unfathomably strictly for the purpose of heightening demand for coins in their holders. It might have been 'round the time when green inserts were being used.

My suspicions are that if you resubmitted the coin, it would come back in a higher holder.

But, I like the coin in the holder it is in. In the holder it is in, it is like a Clouded Leopard. In a higher numbered holder it would be more like a European Starling.

<< <i>I remember times in the past when folks "in the know" said that some of the grading services were grading coins unfathomably strictly for the purpose of heightening demand for coins in their holders. It might have been 'round the time when green inserts were being used.

My suspicions are that if you resubmitted the coin, it would come back in a higher holder.

But, I like the coin in the holder it is in. In the holder it is in, it is like a Clouded Leopard. In a higher numbered holder it would be more like a European Starling. >>

So if it looks nice in hand, would you crack it out or submit under regrade? Worst case scenario would be it comes back as a Fine 12 in a new PCGS holder.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    I didnt think you could put a minimum for a grade review/regrade.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    Not shocked by the grade. It's been net graded due to the cleaning and adjustment marks.

-Paul

<< <i>

<< <i>I remember times in the past when folks "in the know" said that some of the grading services were grading coins unfathomably strictly for the purpose of heightening demand for coins in their holders. It might have been 'round the time when green inserts were being used.

But, I like the coin in the holder it is in. In the holder it is in, it is like a Clouded Leopard. In a higher numbered holder it would be more like a European Starling. >>

So if it looks nice in hand, would you crack it out or submit under regrade? Worst case scenario would be it comes back as a Fine 12 in a new PCGS holder. >>

No, I would not crack it out and resubmit it. I like clouded leopards WAY more than European Starlings. Even if you are going to sell the coin, it will probably bring about the same price because most intelligent folks know that under current grading standards it is a 20.
    The dealer I bought this coin from almost always uses scans. Another forum member showed me images of a coin he sold to the dealer. The scans of the coin made it look lighter, and I was told in reality the coin had even dark surfaces. So it is possible the scan might make the surfaces look worse than they are. We will see.

I personally think it would be a candidate for a CAC gold sticker.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with the grade, but what about the scratch on the face?
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    excellent coin, I'd grade it 15 if pressed for a round "TPG" number, but IMO really a good example of a fine 17 or 18.
    Wonderful surfaces, only barely netted for the eye appeal affects of the adjustment marks

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Here are a pair of PCGS Fine 12's for comparison.

imageimage

imageimage
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file