Home U.S. Coin Forum

Krypto's FUN show Report...board members galore

Half of my Fun show is always dedicated to meeting new forums member and reconnecting with my forum friends and this year was no exception.

Coins

I was on a mission to buy as many fairly priced toned coins as I could for my Ebay sales....I had gotten word from Wednesday that there wasn't much their but I worked hard with Chris (Rctoners) and I think we did very well. I wouldn't say I found any bargains but I did find dealers with more wiggle room on their prices than years past so I felt like all sides were making out well on the deals. I also went looking for older holders like NGC 2.1's and Doily's and did not find a single one. I believe the high turnover rate of dealer inventory at these large shows makes it much more unlikely to find these rare gems but I had to try for drunners sake image

Every dealer I talked to seem to be having a good show and considering it was a weekday the traffic seemed fairly strong and consistent throughout the day with it being difficult to see all of the tables because there was always a crowd in front of certain tables. The toned Frankies and Toned Morgan’s seem to be there in a bit more quantity than I have seen in years past, and gold and silver was trading hands everywhere...WOW. I would have to say even though the show was in Tampa and I had to make the drive from Orlando (spoiled) I thought it was one of the better shows I have been to in the last 5 years and personally I had a lot of fun.

My lone purchase for my own collection comes in the form of a very nice toned Morgan that is under graded and this coin literally stopped me in my tracks and I had to have it..OMG

Forum member

I picked up coinkid855 (Paul) at about 7am and we headed over to the show as he needed a lift. While waiting for the show to open I bumped into Rctoners (Chris & Robin) and also Stone and Dimeman who were slumming with coinkid image We chatted briefly about dime varieties and toners etc and then we went our separate ways. During my trek around the floor I bumped into my buddy Lablover (Jim) and also onlyroosies (Nick) but rainbowroosie (Bill) proved elusive which is a shame. I did receive a dinner invite from Nick but unfortunately since I was coinkids ride I didn't want to keep him away from home half the night due to his recent surgery.

I always find time to stop by Julian's table and as everyone already knows its always a pleasure to chat with him and see how he is doing and how the show is going etc. I ran into Todd (blu62vette) and had a great conversation....looked at some pretty coins, showed off some pretty coins (mine & Skyman’s), then I ran over to say high to Charmy and when i asked where all of her toned Morgan’s where she pointed me back to the table Todd was at.... image

I also bumped into Ebaytrader accidentally and I take back all of the mean and nasty things I ever posted about him image He was a true gentleman and he sold me a beautiful coin I just had to have even though I wasn't at the show to add coins to my collection image I always make a point of stopping at Greg Allen's table and talk toners with Greg and Ron Sirna who was sharing the table. I did a little show and tell there and was able to show off my raw textile toner I ripped off Ebay along with my other purchases from this year and Sy's mega monsters......nothing better than talking life and toners with these two gentleman image As an added bonus while I was at their table Dena from NGC walked up...we shared some or Ron's chocolates and talked for a few minutes. Later in the day I went back and saw Brandon Kelly at Greg's table and had another show and tell session.....hey we like to look at coins what can I say image Finally I ran into one of my dearest friends at the show dpoole and no show would be complete for me if I missed him and or got to joke around about lot viewing....love ya buddy 1grouphug;

I am heading back Saturday for the NGC luncheon and I expect to spend most of the day running around looking for other forum members as most of my coin shopping is done for this year’s show. image

Comments

• Why Kryptogoggles of course image
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Krypto can't locate Doilies even with his KryptoGoggles . . there are no Doilies to be found.

Sounds like I am going to have to buy him a drink to go with the lunch I already owe . . .

Drunner
  • thanks for all your hard work shane!! Really appreciate it!

now find me more frankies image
  • Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

Shane, what would bushmaster8 say about this coin!!?? AT? NT? I guess if PCGS didn't "sniff" it out then it must be OK.....

Just adding a little fun for a Friday afternoon. I have purchased a few nice toners from you on e-bay as "howaboutthat!" You have been added to my favorite sellers list due to all of your nice offerings!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Thanks.....maybe I will send him a PM and ask his opinion on the toning image
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Insane Morgan. Love it.
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭
    I always enjoy reading the show reports. Thanks for taking the time to post a good one Shane.

Great looking Morgan toner you picked up there. image

Mike
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimage
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. Are they still going for huge multiples like a few years ago?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Well done indeed. You get Bear's "Growl of Approval Award for toning Excellence".image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage

• << <i>Nice. Are they still going for huge multiples like a few years ago? >>

Yes image but I still thought the price was fair for the quality of the toning and overall eye appeal....I didn't pay thousands for the coin...well less than a grand actually.

and I know of a lot of sales of toners at the show that made my paultry purchase looking like finding a lincoln cent on the side walk image

• << <i>Well down indeed. You get Bear's "Growl of Approval Award for toning Excellence".image >>

I have a jelly doughnut around here somewhere image
  • bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Shane,Great looking Morgan ,especially if its an undergraded 63.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet looking Morgan Shane! image Congrats on the pickup. It looks like it has nice '81-S style booming luster too to amplify the toning.

Thank you for the report. It sounds like the show was a lot of fun.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Great report! I have to convince the wife to make the trip down there one day. Maybe when my daughter is older.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great report! I have to convince the wife to make the trip down there one day. Maybe when my daughter is older. >>

My advice: Leave the wife at home!
  • jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    That Morgan sure looks like she's got more going for her than MS63...
  • Not fair! I want kryptogoogles too! Waaaah!

The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    "Krypto's FUN show Report...board members galore"

Hey I call shenanigans on you using Krypto, least people confuse me with a "rainbow" loving comic book collector. image
  • MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good report. Thanks - maybe I'll make it down next year.

Maine_Jim
  • coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Great report Shane, thanks again for the lift! Here's my report: I filled 3 holes in my Morgan album, (81-CC, 91-CC, and an 04-S all in nice VG), got a nice toner 85-O Morgan from Ponyexpress8 (Thanks Glenn!), and got to see Stone make an amazing accidental cherrypick (which he beat today with another accidental pick, that jerk!) image

Other than the aforementioned buys and seeing all of my friends and forum members, it was a SLOW show for me. Oh well, there's always Summer FUN!

-Paul

• << <i>"Krypto's FUN show Report...board members galore"

Hey I call shenanigans on you using Krypto, least people confuse me with a "rainbow" loving comic book collector. image >>

It sounds like I deserve to be called out on that....but people have been abreviating my name on these boards since 2001 so maybe I need to start charging you a quarter per post image
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I REALLY want the details on STONE . . . how long can we keep this hype going without hearing the details???

Shane . . . there have GOT to be some Doilies there back in some stockboxes SOMEWHERE !!!!!

Come on, man, give a brother a break !!!

Drunner!
  • The 81-S is gorgeous! I'd love to see it in hand sometime! Or did you buy it from a short, smiling guy, with a moustachio? In that case I probably HAVE seen it...

Thanks for the great report.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • I am 90% sure I bought the coin from ebaytrader but I did talk to dozens of dealers so I could be wrong. image The good news is it certainly wasn't a short guy with a mustache...that sounds more like me image
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Excellent personal report Shane, I always love these. Super KUDOS on that 64 ( :-) Morgan looker !!!!!!
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I did a little show and tell there and was able to show off my raw textile toner I ripped off Ebay >>

This was a great show and tell coin!!!!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice report, Shane. As I walked the aisles this year I, too, was struck at the number of morgan toners. They were EVERYWHERE! Nice ones, too, and yours is no exception! Take care...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report krypto and pretty looking Morgie... image

ABimage

• << <i>Thanks for the report krypto and pretty looking Morgie... image

ABimage >>

Pretty amazing to find out you used to own it...that suckers has done some traveling image
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am 90% sure I bought the coin from ebaytrader but I did talk to dozens of dealers so I could be wrong. image The good news is it certainly wasn't a short guy with a mustache...that sounds more like me image[/q

It be me, Shane. I can understand your confusion. You seemed to go into a tizzy when you spotted that monster. It was good meeting you. Congrats on that super steal. image
  • I grade the Morgan 64 but with toning like that does it really matter? No!
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Shane, it was great seeing you! And yes there were a lot of forum members at this show!
    Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®

• Nice report shane image

Had a good time at the show as always, I think my favorite part is always arguing with you over who paid too much for what imageimage
  • Dennis King always has great toners and this show was no exception. Did you get the opportunity to check out his offerings?
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick on the colorful toner and thanks for the FUN report image
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Where were you hanging at Shane?? We had to drink without you???? The roosie guys met and we missed you!!
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

• << <i>Where were you hanging at Shane?? We had to drink without you???? The roosie guys met and we missed you!! >>

I had to take coinkid back to orlando so I couldn't make it...I can't believe I was at FUN and didn't get to hang with you at all......my loss I assure you image

• << <i>Dennis King always has great toners and this show was no exception. Did you get the opportunity to check out his offerings? >>

I found Dennis today and he really sucked.....I tried to walk away from his table for 20 minutes to avoid buying a coin that called to me and he continued to be nice to me and finally I broke down and bought it....will be posting it and providing a bit more show report later when I get time. image
  • Saturday was a real fun day as I focused more on socializing with dealer and board members I am friends with.....but I did pick up some coins for my business and one more beauty for my collection.

Here she is image

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a beautiful '78-S Shane! It sure is a sweety! image
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coins and a great report! The 1881-S looks sweet!
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    She reminds me of a coin i used to own. Beautiful pick up Shane! Are you sure theres room for both of them in your box of 20? image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny

• << <i>She reminds me of a coin i used to own. Beautiful pick up Shane! Are you sure theres room for both of them in your box of 20? image >>

Somehow I will make room image
  • Did any of the PCGS forum members make it to the NGC Luncheon? We had a fun time and got to do some show and tell at our table.

I also got to stop and talk with jhdfla (John) and saw some truly amazing seated coins in high grade and most had jaw dropping toning image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file