Home U.S. Coin Forum

When buying a coin in person, has the dealer ever inadvertantly quoted you his profit, rather than t

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I would never make it as a coin dealer. The sheer volume of transactions, dealing with the unwashed masses, and trying to translate secret pricing codes on the fly, while sizing up the maximum paying capacity of a potential purchaser, seems too much for Longacre.

Given how fast deals go down on the bourse, have you ever experienced a situation where a dealer inadvertantly quotes his profit as the price, rather than the actual selling price? Obviously that price will not be honored, but I was curious.

For example, you come up to a table, in your best threadbare clothing so as to not make yourself an easy mark. The dealer is harried, trying to balance volume against razor thin margins. You see a coin, and ask for the price. The dealer flips it over, takes a look at the code of his cost (let's say it's $3,500). In his head he wants to make $500. Rather than telling you the price is $4,000, he mistakenly blurts out, "$500". Then he immediately catches his mistake. Has this ever happened?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    If that were true in my case, the dealer would be quoting $8, $13, and $3! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭
    I once had a dealer accidentally blurt out, "This sale's gonna net me a bourse dog and a medium cherry Coke."

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For example, you come up to a table, in your best threadbare clothing so as to not make yourself an easy mark.

That's my mistake. I usually wear a Steelers shirt or cap, so the dealer must conclude that I am accustomed to success. image

I have never seen or heard of that happening. I have been, both accidentally and intentionally, quoted the price the dealer paid for the coin.

• RYK, I can send you a Panthers cap for use at the shows, that should fix your problem.image
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he bought it from the widow who was selling her late husband's collection his price probably is all profit.image
    All glory is fleeting.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I once had a dealer accidentally blurt out, "This sale's gonna net me a bourse dog and a medium cherry Coke." >>

And of course you believed him.image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • JustMe2JustMe2 Posts: 180 ✭✭
    About six months ago Harry Laibstain started e-mailing me their coin inventory for sale in an excel spread sheet that had some hidden columns. With in the hidden columns was what appeared to be their purchase price. I was able to confirm some of them to resent auction purchases. That went on for a couple of months and then the hidden columns finally disappeared
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I once had a dealer accidentally blurt out, "This sale's gonna net me a bourse dog and a medium cherry Coke." >>

Hey, ya done good, it wasn't a deluxe deli sandwich and a large soda!
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • That is why you password them, if leaving them on there at all.
  • I always get price.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file