Home U.S. Coin Forum

Amazing toned commems at the NGC FUN table

jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭
For any of you at FUN this week who have an interest in toned commems, there is a display set up at NGC's table of some amazing toned commems in a display on thre tiers encased in glass. Greg Binghams amazing Oregon is in there, and the absolute finest Lincoln with color I think I have ever seen. Do yourself a favor and check them out!

Comments

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds cool. for those of us not at the show, anyone willing to snap a few photos and post them?? at least of the oregon and lincoln mentioned in the OP!

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is Gregg's Oregon. Twice, I've tried to run away with it and twice he has brought me down like Dan Fouts. Without mercy................Like John said it's a sight to behold in person. MJ

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    What is it graded.....I've seen it but can't remember....NGC 68 or NGC 69?

What do you think that Oregon would bring in an auction?

68*

This coin went for moon money once at auction. Tough question you pose. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Maybe its the picture but I cant help but make this connection when I see that kind of toning:

• HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    I'm far from being anything close to an Anaconda fan-boy, but does the AT Peace Dollar really need to be continuously reposted?
  • FrozeninkFrozenink Posts: 446 ✭✭
    I saw more than one jaw hit the floor looking at that display. I sold all my commens to focus on CBH, but that display made me want to start them again.

Gary
  • Oh my, that is a LOVELY Oregon! Thank you for posting it.

Mark
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • Many of the coins are from the Shepherd Sale of August 1991 and Rothenberger Sale on January 1991. They are in private hands and
    have stay hidden for 18 or more years. Many thanks to the owners for displaying them for the first time.

• dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe its the picture but I cant help but make this connection when I see that kind of toning:

image >>

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other people must be selling commems as well. On HA.com for all FUN auctions plus the next sale they had a total of 1,000 classic commems listed...sheesh!!!
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

<< <i>Many of the coins are from the Shepherd Sale of August 1991 and Rothenberger Sale on January 1991. They are in private hands and
    have stay hidden for 18 or more years. Many thanks to the owners for displaying them for the first time. >>

There's a good chance that most of them will stay in those grimey hands as well for the next 20 years!

Here's an "I Phone" pic of the Lincoln at the display. Richard still needs to get his set photographed. The coin is beastly in hand. MJ

<< <i>

<< <i>Many of the coins are from the Shepherd Sale of August 1991 and Rothenberger Sale on January 1991. They are in private hands and
    have stay hidden for 18 or more years. Many thanks to the owners for displaying them for the first time. >>

There's a good chance that most of them will stay in those grimey hands as well for the next 20 years!

Here's an "I Phone" pic of the Lincoln at the display. Richard still needs to get his set photographed. The coin is beastly in hand. MJ

image >>

That thing is mouth-watering delicious!!!image
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J-a-C, thanks for showing us half the coin. Or is that all of the toning you want to share?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Man you guys are making me work! ( I'm in China)

Richard is a close friend of mine and I know he takes his pics with his I Phone. I snatched these pics from his Registry Set on NGC.

The reason I didn't put the reverse on the first post is that you would have needed to view them on the Cowboy Stadium Jumbotron to see them togetherimage

Here ya go. MJ

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    LOVE the Lincoln. The Oregon just doesn't look right to me....
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for getting that pic, very very cool image
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have some hesitation about that Oregon.........but it sure looks bright!
    The Oregon I've held in my hand many times. It's really a special coin and it's the real deal. MJ
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Greg's set is breathtaking. I saw a few of his castoffs in dealer's cases, and they were all amazing too.

He has this Booker that looks almost unreal. Purple and green, if memory serves. I should have taken a few pics while I was there.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

<< <i>LOVE the Lincoln. The Oregon just doesn't look right to me.... >>

Unfortunately image
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to stop several times and look again. Every coin looked like it belonged together.
    Larry

• Here’s a Shepherd collection coin from the 1991 Auction that has never lived more than 8 miles from the site of that Superior auction. It didn’t make it to FUN or any other shows in the last 19 years either.
    Sorry for the lousy photos, but I spend all my money on coins and nothing on cameras.

successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
    Love that Texas Mr Coin............I have the catalog from that sale and it still a great point of reference. I still have not found the right Texas for my 50 piece hybrid set. MJ
  • I used to have the 1937S Ark from that auction, too. I bought it from Larry after the sale as it didn't make the reserve, but someone offered me stupid money for it about a year later so it got sold. Wish I Would have kept it now.
    successful BST deals with Meltdown, Broadstruck, lordmarcovan, MisterTicToc, JINX86, BXBOY143, MBCOINS and others
    Mr Coin, is there a story on the different cert numbers on the slab (Texas)? MJ
  • Yes there is. I was wondering when someone would notice that.

Shortly after the auction Larry told me that all the coins were originally graded by across the street. He had them all re-graded by PCGS who agreed to put his name on the inserts. Most of the coins crossed at the same grades but a few were downgraded by a point. So , like a fool, I cracked the Texas out and sent it across the street where it came back as MS67. It didn't take long for me to realize that even with the higher grade I had lost the pedigree. I cracked it out again and sent it back to PCGS hoping for an even crossover thinking even without the pedigree a PCGS 67 grade would be better. Well, Mr. Hall couldn't be fooled. He recognized the coin from the sale and after a brief phone conversation with me, put it back in the 66 holder with the original pedigree. I kept the original insert as a reminder. Hence 2 different cert numbers. Lesson learned.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file