Home U.S. Coin Forum

Has anyone here ever completed a bust half set by Overton #'s

Pretty straight forward, has anyone on the boards ever completed a bust half set with all know Overton die marriages?

I don't have the time or resources.

Comments

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. It's only been done once--possibly twice now since a guy was close before the last couple of major collections hit the auction block over the past two years. I think that it is still once though.

Edit to add: And that was only the capped bust halves. No one has completed all FH, DBH, and CBHs by Overton.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • I have about 45 die varieties now and still chasing the Dansco pages. Looking at Overton 3rd it seems like an impossible task, but with some of the pockets on this site, not impossible?
  • I would like to try if I ever have enough funds to do so. My dream would be to piece together a BU set, and for those issues not known in uncirculated condition, then the finest known circulated grade available.
  • I have a dream too< I would like to complete a gold $1-$20 in MS-63 plus, but I would be lucky to complete a VG Washington setimage
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Not me. I can't even complete a Redbook set which includes 75 coins. A couple are just completely out of my price range like the 1817/4.

<< <i>I have about 45 die varieties now and still chasing the Dansco pages. Looking at Overton 3rd it seems like an impossible task, but with some of the pockets on this site, not impossible? >>

It's not just deep pockets--it's a matter of availablity. For example, there are only 3 known examples of each of the 1827 O-149 and 1825 O-118. (Compare that total to the 9 known 1817/4.)
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    I did a basic date set, and I'm happy with that. Now working on a set of early halves (not much easier with the 1796 and 1797).
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought Jim (Longtimecollector) came pretty close. I think he is selling his at FUN and think I recall as BST post of his about this sometime in the last couple of weeks.
    He might have been missing only a handful or so I think.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• I had 55 different CBH Redbook varieties before selling them all back in the late 80s. Sure wish I had them back.
  • I have one and 1805/4 Overton 102, next I will target a nice 1817/3 or a 1795/1795

<< <i>I thought Jim (Longtimecollector) came pretty close. I think he is selling his at FUN and think I recall as BST post of his about this sometime in the last couple of weeks.
    He might have been missing only a handful or so I think. >>

IIRC, he is selling his nearly complete seated half set by Wiley-Bugert numbers--a feat which IMO would match a complete Overton CBH set.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a complete set to be seen sure would be a sight for sore eyes. not that i know of
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the mysterious owner of The Overton Collection is very close to completing the entire 1794-1836 half dollar set by Overton number, including the addition of the three crushed lettered edge varieties. This would be quite an accomplishment as there are a number of unique varieties. The 1794 O111 has one known example. The 1794 O109 was discovered by Robert Hilt with one known in silver. Hilt was killed in an airplane crash in the 1990's, the whereabouts of his discovery coin is unknown. Two copper die trials of 1794 O109 were found in museum collections, which confirmed to some disbelievers that this variety actual existed. The Overton Collection owner has the unique 1806 O128 and 1806 O130. So until the missing Hilt coin is found the Overton collection cannot be completed.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

<< <i>I believe the mysterious owner of The Overton Collection is very close to completing the entire 1794-1836 half dollar set by Overton number, including the addition of the three crushed lettered edge varieties. This would be quite an accomplishment as there are a number of unique varieties. The 1794 O111 has one known example. The 1794 O109 was discovered by Robert Hilt with one known in silver. Hilt was killed in an airplane crash in the 1990's, the whereabouts of his discovery coin is unknown. Two copper die trials of 1794 O109 were found in museum collections, which confirmed to some disbelievers that this variety actual existed. The Overton Collection owner has the unique 1806 O128 and 1806 O130. So until the missing Hilt coin is found the Overton collection cannot be completed. >>

So he got the '25-118? I thought I heard that was the only CBH he needed.
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK - He must have as it was reported that another complete Overton CBH set was finished after Meyer, with the addition of the CLE's that Meyer did not own.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I am trying my hardest - ask me in another 40 years
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had 90+ twice, trying to get to BHNC status. I now have about 60...for my third try. I guess if I really was BHNC material, I'd have dumped my wife and/or children and kept the coins. image

I'll tell you this though, it will cost me a lot more this time. Ouch!!!
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

• << <i>So he got the '25-118? I thought I heard that was the only CBH he needed. >>

The last coin he was missing was the 1829 O.120 and he got Meyer's example. He is lacking only 2 flowing hair half dollars to complete the preturban set. Another BHNC member is now at 448 and he also has a significant preturb set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file