Home U.S. Coin Forum

Any BU Wheat Rolls Collectors?

I'm trying to find some other collectors of BU Wheat Rolls.
I am working on a set from 35-70, but still have many to go.
Just wanting to pick the brain of someone else who enjoys these rolls.
Thanks!

Comments

• rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm trying to find some other collectors of BU Wheat Rolls.
    Thanks! >>

I'm not really a collector of BU Wheat Rolls since I'm not trying to complete a set but I do tend to accumulate them in my search for varieties. Mostly I keep the OBW's and go through the rest. Are you trying for very high grade rolls, OBW rolls, or just a complete set? Most of what I buy are MM rolls since I look for RPMs but I also buy P rolls of the more notable dates for DD's. I just got back from a business trip to Colorado and stopped in at some local coin shops. Bought a good sized group of rolls at 3 different shops! Much better luck compared with home, though I suppose I've tapped out the shops here. What dates are you looking for? Do you look for varieties? ...Ray
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • There are many who collect BU rolls of wheaties. I had about a dozen rolls, all from the 1950s, but sold them and haven't gotten back into that realm.

They are really cool to own though. I bought most of mine on eBay and assume they are still available.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only BU wheat roll is a 1943 steel one.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm trying to find some other collectors of BU Wheat Rolls.
    Thanks! >>

to 70? image
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

• << <i>
    Are you trying for very high grade rolls, OBW rolls, or just a complete set? Most of what I buy are MM rolls since I look for RPMs but I also buy P rolls of the more notable dates for DD's.
    What dates are you looking for? Do you look for varieties? ...Ray >>

Hi Ray,
    What I am going after are just average red rolls. I don't want them all baggy, but don't need to be all 67's. The bulk of my rolls are not OBW, although I do have a few.
    I started to look for RPM's in about 3 of my 20 or so 51-d rolls, but honestly was finding more than I knew what to do with. So I stopped and just kept the rolls as they were.
    I did check the 55-P rolls, for the obvious. But other than that I have not gone through them. I do need most of 35-49, and a few in the 50's (50 P D S, 51 P S, 52 P D, 54 P).

I do have many extras, 51-D x19, 53-D x23, 54-D x11, 55-P, 55-D x3, 55-S x12, 56 P D, 57-P, 58-P x3, 58-D.

When finding RPMs, is there a good place to sell them? When I found mine, it was like "..... now what?".

Thanks!
    Jordan
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I find it's really feast or famine. Some shops/dealers will have nothing then once in a while you'll find a feast of them.
    The memorials are even more that way, once in a while you'll find some dealer with a box of them and eager to sell them. Others will look at me like I'm crazy to ask about them.

Beyond the 30s some rolls are still tough to find. Maybe 41-D, 47-P, 48-S are tougher and 41-S, 42-S, 43-S are big $.

Ed
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Pm sent
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

• << <i> My only BU wheat roll is a 1943 steel one >>

I had just picked up a 43-P BU Roll... I love those BU Steel Cents

<< <i> to 70? >>

The only real reason I chose 1970 is I have all those and none later.

<< <i> Beyond the 30s some rolls are still tough to find. Maybe 41-D, 47-P, 48-S are tougher and 41-S, 42-S, 43-S are big $. >>

Ed,
    As the greysheet price can be used to determine the "keys", which rolls besides the 41-d, 47-p, and 48-s would you say are on the tough side? Is it fair to say that nearly all, or all are underpriced according to the sheet?
    Thanks!
    Jordan

<< <i>What I am going after are just average red rolls. I don't want them all baggy, but don't need to be all 67's. The bulk of my rolls are not OBW, although I do have a few.
    I started to look for RPM's in about 3 of my 20 or so 51-d rolls, but honestly was finding more than I knew what to do with. So I stopped and just kept the rolls as they were.
    I did check the 55-P rolls, for the obvious. But other than that I have not gone through them. I do need most of 35-49, and a few in the 50's (50 P D S, 51 P S, 52 P D, 54 P).

I do have many extras, 51-D x19, 53-D x23, 54-D x11, 55-P, 55-D x3, 55-S x12, 56 P D, 57-P, 58-P x3, 58-D.

When finding RPMs, is there a good place to sell them? When I found mine, it was like "..... now what?".

Thanks!
    Jordan >>

Jordan...you can sell the extra RPMs on eBay but don't expect a big premium. I usually sell any extras there or on variety auction sites and sales, but again not much premium. You're not going to get rich on RPMs, it's just a lot of fun, especially when you find something new! I have discovered a couple RPMs and a DDO that are now listed by CONECA, and have a bunch more to send in to see if they are listable. I'm trying to complete a set, but know it's going to take many years to find them all. Your 51-D's may yield some nice 51D/S; the 53-D's may have the really nice RPM1 or RPM2; the 54-D may have the D/D/D; the 55-S may have the S/S/S; and the 56-D may have the RPM-8 or the D/S OMM. Lots to look for and any of the ones I mentioned will bring a much bigger than average premium. I'm sure some folks here would be interested in your extra rolls if you put them on the BST. By the way, which RPMs did you find in the 51-D rolls? ...Ray

• CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    PM sent.

Been collecting BU lincoln rolls since the late 80's when in high school I picked up a 40-S roll from a jewelry store owner/ex coin dealer. Happy to share any experiences/info I might have picked up along the way.

I'd like my copper well done please!
    The early 30s are very tough!! Especially the 33d!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

• << <i>The early 30s are very tough!! Especially the 33d! >>

I love reading QDB stories about handling BU rolls of 1931-S wheaties! He said they were commonly traded in the early 1950s.

The thought of owning a BU roll of 1931-S Lincolns makes my hair stand on end! image
  • PMs replied.

Ray,
    For the 51-D, they aren't the major ones. CONECA: RPM-005, CONECA: RPM-008, CONECA: RPM-019. They may not be those exact ones, but just to give you an idea that it's not very dramatic repunching. But all are UNC Red.

<< <i>As the greysheet price can be used to determine the "keys", which rolls besides the 41-d, 47-p, and 48-s would you say are on the tough side? Is it fair to say that nearly all, or all are underpriced according to the sheet? >>

Not sure if sheet is high or low but finding those sure seemed tougher than the rest. 41-D seemed different than others, the few rolls I saw were junk. It wasn't a question of the price as much as finding them at all.

It might be based on regions, ebay is good for getting what you don't see locally.

In the 50s rolls the 51-P and 52-P seem sort of tough too.

If you go beyond 70 you'll find some of the 80s-90s are tough to find and there are some higher $ rolls mostly mid 80s.

Ed
  • Thanks for the info! It should help me out a lot...

I went back to check through the 51's I pulled out... Pretty sure I actually found a pile of 51 D/S cents.

If not, it's awfully close.
    The pictures aren't the greatest (actually better when viewed small)

Here is the CopperCoins.Com link

What do you think?
    Looks like it.

One of the best sanity tests is looking closely at the mintmark position.
    From your pic the tail of the 5 makes the position look right but you can tell better in hand.

Ed

It would be safe to assume that you could find multiples of these in a roll, correct?
    How many dies would be working at any given time.
    Looks like it to me! Nice find!

Yes you might find more in the roll and other rolls you might have got with it.

Maybe from one to a dozen of the same die variety one in a roll.

Ed

<< <i>Thanks for the info! It should help me out a lot...

I went back to check through the 51's I pulled out... Pretty sure I actually found a pile of 51 D/S cents.

>>

Yep, that looks like the D/S OMM1. Not bad, I don't think I have one of those. Looks like some trading and grading is in your future! ...Ray

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file