Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sometimes we absolutely amaze non-collectors!!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm at work today talking with a co-worker when a third guy walks over to us asking if either of has good eyesight and can read what he's holding in his hand. When he's about five feet away I realize it's an elongated Cent and probably has the Lord's Prayer on it, so that's what I tell him. He looks at me like I'm a savant and I talked a little about what he had, mentioning that I had the Lord's Prayer inscribed on a Half-Dime. "You mean a Nickel" he says, so I explained all about Half-Dimes, Three-Centers for postage, Joseph Wharton and Nickel, etc, etc in about 3-4 minutes. The look on his face was something between disbelief and amazement, it was priceless.

The long-and-short of the brief encounter was a deeper appreciation of what we all possess as a result of this crazy Hobby of ours, not just coins but a little deeper knowledge base that I think average people miss out on. I sort of half expect my pal Terry to be showing me some old coins one day soon, now that my cat is out of its proverbial bag!!!

Al H.

imageimage

Comments

• Neat story, at least they were interested. Every time I start to talk about coins at work my co-workers eyes glaze over and they remember they had a phone call to make or they have to go to the bathroom. image
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People I work with are always pulling pennies out of their pockets and asking me if I'll give them $900 for "this one".

I don't think they'll ever get tired of it....it's all fun.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file