Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is this? Bust Dime double brockage?

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know it's hard to tell from the picture, but this dime is incuse on both obverse and reverse. Any ideas?

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    Looks like it might be counterfeit.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    How does the reeding on the edge look?
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How does the reeding on the edge look? >>

It's there but weak.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm not understanding that thing, but shouldn't a true brockage have mirror image effects?
  • errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Both faces simply look damaged and corroded. I see no brockage.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    That would also cause a mirrored image on the reverse, no?
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excessive localized corrosion.

Ever see a coin that is heavily encrusted that got back into circulation, so that the crust wears off on the high points, exposing bare metal on the date and stars and whatever?

Imagine such a coin that then gets buried in the ground or dumped down a sewer into a corrosive environment, where the environment attacks the bare metal and eats down into the coin in the same pattern as the date or stars or whatever. Later it is found and the original encrustation cleaned away showing relatively intact fields but holes where the exposed details used to be. That is what you have.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Sewer? I'd wash up after touching it------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sewer? I'd wash up after touching it------BigE >>

There's a lot of Drano and similar cleaners down there. Very corrosive environment.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file