Home U.S. Coin Forum

New pickup--A couple of Don Taxay's books

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recently picked up a couple of Don Taxay's books--- Scott's Comprehensive Catalogue and Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins, 1971 and An Illustrated History of
U. S. Commemorative Coinage, both in hard copy.
I understand that their is quite a discussion going on regarding Don Taxay's works
and his disappearance. I would like to hear anyones thoughts on Don Taxay and his works.
Thanks
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a couple of other books by Taxay worth getting, both available in reprint editions (get these from out-of-print book dealers like Abebooks):
    "Counterfeit, Mis-struck, and Unofficial U. S. Coins"
    "The U. S. Mint and Coinage"
    Both were quite influential when they appeared, and are still very much worth reading.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The U.S. Mint and Coinage" is one of my favorite numismatic books.

I met him once at the offices of Coin World. I knew he was going to be there, so I brought his books in from my home library and asked him to sign them.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think his works are some of the best out there...they may have been somewhat dated by RWB's work, but they stood up for a long time.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
    For a photograph of Taxay see ...

Text

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file