Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is anyone having problems with not receiving the Grey Sheet on time?

Over the past several months it seems that the Grey Sheet is arriving later and later... sometimes I get two issues at once... both late with one much later.

The last one I received was the 12/17 issue... and that did not arrive until 12/29...

I have checked with another person in my town who subscribes... he is having the same problem...

Checked with our PO... they say it is not them holding it up... that it is somewhere along the "pipeline" ...

My friend has spoken with someone at the GS office, so they are aware of the problem... yet it keeps getting worse, not better...

I was going to call them again today but wanted to see if this problem is occuring in other parts of the country before I call...

FTR... up until around 6 months ago, I usually got the sheet on time... no later than the Sat or Mon after the issue date...
Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image

Comments

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had similar problems on and off a few years ago, so now I just utilize the on-line versions.
    No more frustrations of having the new sheets show up in the mail the day AFTER a show, etc.
    Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    Yes, the last couple months have been terrible.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Larry, the online version is actually cheaper. I used to buy it only when I needed it. We both know there isn't a ton of drastic changes from week to week and you get it immediately and can save it on your desktop.

Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

• << <i>I had similar problems on and off a few years ago, so now I just utilize the on-line versions.
    No more frustrations of having the new sheets show up in the mail the day AFTER a show, etc. >>

Thought about that... but weighed the extra cost and hassle of printing up the sheet myself... I am not one of those "carry my electronic gadgets everywhere I go" kinda guys... and no apologies either imageimage

Frankly... I would rather pay extra for them to send the sheets out by 1st class mail... yet my folks at the PO tell me that periodicals, especially when labeled "Time sensitive" as these are, are supposed to be handled just like 1st class...

I am guessing that there is more to all this delay than the Holiday "rush" ... that it has more to do with staff shortages and low morale... I won't judge the postal workers... I do not think I would want their job... but once upon a time you could "count on" your Postal People...

Heck, with the blizzard we had here right after Christmas, the PO was closed on a regular "work day" ... no more of that "neither wind nor rain nor sleet... yada yada... will keep us from our daily rounds" or whatever that "motto" was...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all, note that the Dec. 17 issue said that it would be the last issue for the year.

The bad delivery is countrywide, and therefore a post office problem.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• << <i>First of all, note that the Dec. 17 issue said that it would be the last issue for the year.

TD >>

oh ... I must have missed that... image

nevermind...

I will now try to act as if I have done nothing wrong and just walk around aimlessly and whistle or something... dum de dum... image
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    I have that problem (two issues arrive at the same time, one being very late) on and off. Did you receive your Dec. 17 issue yet? I just got that one on Tuesday.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does it matter, nobody goes by it anyway unless they need a number to quote you 25% back of.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    On line version is a 'no brainer'. Comes out on Wednesday several days before you get mail copy. Also, easy to save and reference on your computer. I have several years worth saved on my computer and can look up current as well as historical actions, a lot easier than flipping through bulky notebooks. If I want to take one to a show, I just print it off and away I go. Like I said...its a no brainer.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• << <i>On line version is a 'no brainer'. Comes out on Wednesday several days before you get mail copy. Also, easy to save and reference on your computer. I have several years worth saved on my computer and can look up current as well as historical actions, a lot easier than flipping through bulky notebooks. If I want to take one to a show, I just print it off and away I go. Like I said...its a no brainer. >>

ummm... I just checked their site... it's an extra $40+ a year for online access only as opposed to Mail only... so, no, it is not cheaper... though it seems to me it should be...

I need to print it for shows on a regular basis... so add paper/ink... does it equal out to the not having to "sweat" getting it on time? maybe... as RYK might say... "it depends" image
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine has also been coming slow.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Larry,

You need an iPad

Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Helps out also when I lose one which is more often than not image

Just print out a new one and away I go! image

Can also leave one in the truck glove box for when I need one...
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time sensitive pubs have always been a joke in my area. I used to subscribe to a couple of daily business papers and they really came randomly. I'd get today's or yesterday's, then none for a week, then 5 at once...I gave up and don't get them anymore. I'm generally a USPS fan, but not for that stuff.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • LRCTomLRCTom Posts: 857 ✭✭✭
    Larry..yes, very slow to get here in Maryland also. image

I don't think it's USPS, since a lot of my holiday mail only took 2-3 days from various parts of the country.

LRC Numismatics eBay listings:
    http://stores.ebay.com/lrcnumismatics

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭
    I received the 12/17 issue yesterday.
  • BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they should offer it for the Kindle. I guess the online version will work with an Ipad though.
    Maybe you could look into one of those.
  • deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    yes ! very bad service ! that's why i don't subscribe any longer !
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i doubt it's a USPS problem unless it's a Nationwide conspiracy. also, from what i've seen and heard the GreySheet has historically been an off/on slow delivery going back years, dealers have always complained. as for the online version, unless they've improved the quality i always thought it was very, very small print and difficult to read, worse than the mailed version you're complaining about.
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twice over the past 2 months I have received 2 issues on the same day. I've subscribed for many years, and never had such poor service.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Last issue we received was Dec. 10 and that arrived on Dec. 28. It is the P.O. problem not CDN's.
    USAF RET. 1963-1984

Successful BSTs with: Grote15, MadMarty, Segoja,cucamongacoin,metalsman.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not subscribed yet and wonder if a person can print the online version by page. I really don't need info on coins I already have but would like to be able to have it as a reference of coins I am looking for when out shopping.
    I dought if the dealer wants me to put the lap top on the counter to start the bargaining.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    If they would mail the Greysheets out by standard first class mail then all these delays would be avoided.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i doubt it's a USPS problem unless it's a Nationwide conspiracy. also, from what i've seen and heard the GreySheet has historically been an off/on slow delivery going back years, dealers have always complained. as for the online version, unless they've improved the quality i always thought it was very, very small print and difficult to read, worse than the mailed version you're complaining about. >>

Uh, the USPS does have branches all across America.....

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First of all, note that the Dec. 17 issue said that it would be the last issue for the year.
    TD >>

I received the Dec. 17 issue on January 4. Nothing like the "end of the year" issue!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If they would mail the Greysheets out by standard first class mail then all these delays would be avoided. >>

Have no fear. Next year they're going to micro-printing and the whole weekly will be on the back of a 1st class postcard thus making it much easier to read for dealers with inch this tri-focals.
  • Larry,

I have had this very problem for the last several months. I called and was told, 'Your sheets were mailed out on time, would you like us to send duplicates'? Not sure how this does me any good, regarding my weekly Grey and Bluesheets. Terrible customer service and terrible follow through!
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am surviving without them
    LCoopie = Les
  • Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    every now and then I get my copy 3 weeks after the date!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file