Home U.S. Coin Forum

Results of my first modern submission...is this normal?

ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got the results of my first modern submission. A friend and I had gone through 30 ASE Proofs under 10-16X loupes and picked the ones on which we could see no visible flaw to send in for grading hoping to get a few 70's (aren't we all?) and got the following:

I recognize the whole subjective grading thing and all that, but is it really THAT hard to get a 70? With 41.8% (536/1231) of the population being 70's right now, and the care we took in going over these coins and selecting the ones to be submitted; I really thought it was more likely we'd get all 70's than all 69's, but never imagined that we would not get at least one 70.

Comments

• robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    You should NEVER expect a 70. Sending in coins in the hopes of a 70 is a sucker's bet. The only one making money on a submission like that is the grading service. Modern coins, especially proof ultramodern eagles and the like, are generally only worth the grading fee if you're using the bulk service.
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Look at the bright side there were no 68s!!! What was the date received?
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the plus side (no pun intended) they were received on the 31st and shipped on the 6th (today).

I'm a rookie, but was just surprised that as clean as they were IMHO, that there wasn't one 70.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    my 20 was cherry picked from a box of 100 and one PRDCAM70. and i still can't tell a difference.

yeah it's a sucker's bet or i am blind (probably both)

• << <i>You should NEVER expect a 70. Sending in coins in the hopes of a 70 is a sucker's bet. The only one making money on a submission like that is the grading service. Modern coins, especially proof ultramodern eagles and the like, are generally only worth the grading fee if you're using the bulk service. >>

I do not necessarily agree with the above statement. Although I only have limited experience sending coins into PCGS (most were in fact PR70s) and we don't want to get into a debate about another company's ease of grading or lack thereof, I prescreen coins to send in and average about 70% PR70s - I am not 'hoping' to get PR70s I expect them and nearly every time succeed within a given window (typically 60-80% - even as high as 100% on a 20 coin submission).

It simply takes experience.

Jeff
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My question to you is: have you even seen a PR70 2010 ASE yet? Perhaps purchasing one
    for comparison would be a great help. Even though you didn't see a flaw does not mean that
    the strike was all there or maybe the 3rd side had a problem. Just an observation.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My question to you is: have you even seen a PR70 2010 ASE yet? Perhaps purchasing one
    for comparison would be a great help. Even though you didn't see a flaw does not mean that
    the strike was all there or maybe the 3rd side had a problem. Just an observation.

bobimage >>

Trust me that point is well taken...now. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file