Home U.S. Coin Forum

variety attribution a coin already graded by PCGS

I have a couple of coins I want to get attributed but dont know how to fill out the paper work. Any help

Comments

• Just check regrade box and variety attr. box. Send only $24/. You do not pay extra for the reholder as some think.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first step is to go to the PCGS coin number lookup to see if it is a variety that PCGS will recognize. Assuming your coins fit in that category, just use the appropriate coin number, as well as entering the description of the variety in the space provided on a standard submission form.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• << <i>Just check regrade box and variety attr. box. Send only $24/. You do not pay extra for the reholder as some think. >>

That's what I thought too, but this text was recently pointed out by someone else...

<< <i>5. What does the service cost?
    The cost is $24 added to the level of service utilized. For example, if you chose a Regular service level ($30/coin) plus variety attribution, your grading fees would come to $54. Crossover submissions are acceptable. Show Service is not available. To add a variety to an already graded PCGS coin, the cost is $24 and are subject to a reholder fee if the customer is not requesting a grading service level. The same fees apply to dealers adding this service to their orders. >>

http://www.pcgs.com/varietyfaq.html
  • heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 589 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a related question. Can I take advantage of the current quarterly special AND request (and pay for) variety attribution for the coins submitted?HM
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a related question. Can I take advantage of the current quarterly special AND request (and pay for) variety attribution for the coins submitted?HM >>

The answer is yes. You will pay for 3 of the 4 grading fees, 4 attribution fees, 1 handling fee, and 1 return shipping fee. This is the economy service they are offering for the quarterly special, so it may take up to 30 days to get your coins back. Shag
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just check regrade box and variety attr. box. Send only $24/. You do not pay extra for the reholder as some think. >>

I have done this a number of times, and I don't feel you should check the regrade box. You are not asking for a regrade, only an
    attribution. Check the attribution box only. Your cost would only be 24 per coin for the attribution, 8 for handling fee, and shipping charge. When I am unsure of a grade I might get on a variety coin, I sometimes elect to have them graded and not attributed. If I receive a 63 instead of a 64 grade, I might elect not to attribute based on the value of the variety in 63. At 24 per coin, you don't want to invest more than the variety is ultimately worth. JMHO Shag
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    call cust. service and ask.
    post results here.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just check regrade box and variety attr. box. Send only $24/. You do not pay extra for the reholder as some think. >>

I just talked a few hours ago (in person at the FUN show) to a friend in the Customer Service Department about this. As horrible as it sounds, we now DO have to pay a $10/coin reholder fee for variety attributions on existing coins in addition to the attribution fee. This is something that just went into effect, and it totally blindsided me because I still have not heard anything about it via officil e-mail or mail from PCGS.

I said, "so in effect a variety attribution for a coin already in a PCGS holder is now $34, not $24?!" imageimageimage

His reply: "Yes."

When in doubt, don't.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've submitted coins in other TPG's holders to PCGS in the past for crossover and variety attribution, with a minimum grade specified. The coins that didn't cross for grade were returned with no effort by PCGS to refund the Variety Attribution fees, even though the service wasn't rendered. So this new "legitimized" taxation is no surprise to me.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said, "so in effect a variety attribution for a coin already in a PCGS holder is now $34, not $24?!"

imageimageimageimageimage UFB!

Did it ever occur to anyone who sits around the conference room table that the added cost DOES NOT PROMOTE the collecting in variety sets?????????????????????????????????????????

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I just talked a few hours ago (in person at the FUN show) to a friend in the Customer Service Department about this. As horrible as it sounds, we now DO have to pay a $10/coin reholder fee for variety attributions on existing coins in addition to the attribution fee. This is something that just went into effect, and it totally blindsided me because I still have not heard anything about it via officil e-mail or mail from PCGS.

I said, "so in effect a variety attribution for a coin already in a PCGS holder is now $34, not $24?!" imageimageimage

His reply: "Yes." >>

That is really messed up... never had to pay a reholder fee for an attribution like that in the past!!! Is this another new PCGS policy like getting rid of our FREE quarterly specials??

So why aren't we then charged $10/coin on a regrade submission or a crossover submission???? They still need to crack the coin out of the old slab and put it in a new slab, right???

• Sickening....

I would not necessarily believe it, coming from a CS's lips. Sadly, they are infamous for spouting incorrect information.

But there it is in black and white....it will now cost about $70 to get a single coin attributed if in a PCGS holder (that includes postage both ways + $24 + $8 + $10).

This makes it even more of a bargain to just crack 'em out and submit raw through Teletrades raw-variety program, at a mere $17 each.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file